Fox Talas 32 RL rebuild.....HELP with fluid location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justin1978

Hi
After a long time away from riding i brought a Ghost AMR plus 5900. I think its from around 2009-10. It was a well abused bike but saw its potential and have been slowly rebuilding it and its gone well apart from the forks which are proving a nightmare as i cant find much info on my particular model. The forks are:

FOX Talas 32 RL, 150mm 2009/2010 ish. these do NOT have a FIT cartridge

So far ive stripped the damper side, emptied all the contaminated oil (came out muddy brown) and filled it with fresh oil as a temporary fix as i was still waiting on dust seals, and fox fluids and i didnt want them sitting dry, i filled the fresh oil through the top of the fork but i dont know if that was the correct way of filling it. Now according to the official Fox oil charts i need float fluid and red fluid which i have but thing i cant work out is what goes where and how to administer it. Watching some of the videos it shows people adding fluid from the top but also through the lower leg but with the lack of info for my forks i dont know where to put it.

10wt red Damper side oil bath 165ml
Spring side oil bath 10ml

Float fluid Main chamber 3ml
Negative chamber 3ml

I dont know where the different chambers are inside the fork or what goes in from the top and what goes in from the bottom of the leg. The other thing that confuses me is when i let the air out of the fork a bit of green fluid came out and not the blue float fluid they suggest using.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please of what goes where

Thanks

Mfezela

1) Go here.
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=88&ref=manualarchive

2) Search Youtube. There are many service advice videos. I've yet to find the perfect video, but garner bits of info from each.

3) Where are you located?

4) These guys in Shrewsbury service older Fox forks.
https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justin1978

Thanks for your reply

I have seen the site you put up the link for many times but it doesnt have the information i need. I have spent days and days looking on YouTube and probably seen every video but its either basic seal replacement which is the same for all their forks or the more in depth isnt for my model of fork.

From what i can make out my particular model was only around for a year but in that time they had started to install the FIT damper cartridge system which requires a different technique to service with different amount of fluid. I emailed Fox a couple of times but never got a reply. I have no local bike shops in my area any more as they have all closed down so have no where to go and ask.

Mfezela

That Fox link has info for all forks 2008 onwards. Yours will definitely be there somewhere. One can use a service guide from the same era for a similar Talas fork. For example, with some common sense a 100-120-140 guide can be used for a 130-150 fork.

Unfortunately Fox consider anything pre 2010 as obsolete and may, or may not, respond to requests by citing the same link I've provided.

OP
OP
J

justin1978

Thanks

ive got the service manual which i found online and it gives a brief description on how to look after and service my fork but not in depth enough to how exactly how and where to add the float fluid and where to add the oil. I was under the impression that the fork oil just gets added from the top of the fork but from what ive seen and read thats not always the case.

I have found my fork on the Fox link but its either how to install a fork or how to set it up, nothing about where to administrate the fluids. I have the oil chart from their website and my fork is on its own. The other variation which has 140mm travel has different oil volumes so i cant even go by them.

Mfezela

Damper side oil bath.
Filled from bottom of lower leg AFTER top assembly in place.
Spring side oil bath.
Filled from bottom of lower leg AFTER top assembly in place.

Main and negative chambers on Spring side. See attached pdf.

I'll pass on more info as I find it.

Attachments

• 32MM TALAS 2 Spring Service.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 298
OP
OP
J

justin1978

Hi
sorry for the late reply but my laptop had a fit and decided to shut down and go into safe mode.

Thank you so much for the info, i think i have everything i require now to rebuild the forks. The forks in the link were not my exact fork but was the closest ive seen and apart from the top cap the rest of the internals match

Hylton90

Hi Justin1987
Hi
After a long time away from riding i brought a Ghost AMR plus 5900. I think its from around 2009-10. It was a well abused bike but saw its potential and have been slowly rebuilding it and its gone well apart from the forks which are proving a nightmare as i cant find much info on my particular model. The forks are:

FOX Talas 32 RL, 150mm 2009/2010 ish. these do NOT have a FIT cartridge

So far ive stripped the damper side, emptied all the contaminated oil (came out muddy brown) and filled it with fresh oil as a temporary fix as i was still waiting on dust seals, and fox fluids and i didnt want them sitting dry, i filled the fresh oil through the top of the fork but i dont know if that was the correct way of filling it. Now according to the official Fox oil charts i need float fluid and red fluid which i have but thing i cant work out is what goes where and how to administer it. Watching some of the videos it shows people adding fluid from the top but also through the lower leg but with the lack of info for my forks i dont know where to put it.

10wt red Damper side oil bath 165ml
Spring side oil bath 10ml

Float fluid Main chamber 3ml
Negative chamber 3ml

I dont know where the different chambers are inside the fork or what goes in from the top and what goes in from the bottom of the leg. The other thing that confuses me is when i let the air out of the fork a bit of green fluid came out and not the blue float fluid they suggest using.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please of what goes where

Thanks
I have these forks aswel. Please please tell me where you got the spares from and can you please share the manual too

Top Bottom