Foxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I don't think that there is any debate about the fact that foxes are getting bolder, especially the increasing numbers of urban foxes. I guess that man isn't much of a threat any more indeed the rubbish we produce is a source of easy food.

There have even been a couple of stories that made it into the press about foxes entering houses and savaging babies/toddlers, one this year and one a few years ago. (Even so they are statistically less dangerous than the domestic dog I suppose)

We have had fox proof bins for a number of years in our area, yet the local population is on the increase, I'm not sure what they do for food but somehow they thrive

Will1985

Über Member
It was probably an urban fox which had been released into the countryside. Some people think this is a kind act, but in reality they starve to death because they aren't used to hunting as rural foxes do. The farmers round here are able to pick off the urban foxes quite easily with rifles because they don't run away when humans or vehicles come near.

Rural foxes on the other hand are vicious animals which kill for fun - when all chicken bodies and heads are accounted for after a massacre, you can't say the fox was hungry.

Brains

Legendary Member
It was probably an urban fox which had been released into the countryside. Some people think this is a kind act, but in reality they starve to death because they aren't used to hunting as rural foxes do. The farmers round here are able to pick off the urban foxes quite easily with rifles because they don't run away when humans or vehicles come near.

Rural foxes on the other hand are vicious animals which kill for fun - when all chicken bodies and heads are accounted for after a massacre, you can't say the fox was hungry.

Back in the late 80's Camden Council (London) rounded up a couple of dozen foxes that were causing a problem, unsure what to do with them and not wanting the outcry if they were all put down they loaded the lot into a van on a Friday evening and a member of staff who was going camping in Cornwall was told he could have the van and fuel free if he could dump off the foxes somewhere remote.

The foxes were duly dumped off, next moring the local farmer was amazed to see dozens of semi-tame foxes roaming around his farm looking for food. A call was put into the local hunt.

In certain West Country hunt friendly pubs the old men to this day still tell the tail of the day they caught a dozen foxes in a single day (the norm would be one or two)