frame advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Blimey, if it were to swap the frame colour thats almost exactly the bike i'm looking to build.

But hold on, where are the disc lugs on yours,

Very nice

Edit, just read all the replys, i see its the macinato...i assumed that was a type of style that you had gone for when i read your post

I'm such a noob

I make worse mistakes! And Macinato's are a great bike to build on, a tad heavy, but I liked mine. My 531 Mercian frame set is lighter however.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As to the frame you're looking at, TBH, unless you're in a big hurry, I'd wait for something nicer to come along. I once had one of those old Falcons, and it was a bit of a clunker - heavy and ungainly, not much fun in the ride. Frame is everything, so if it was me, I'd be looking for 531 at the minimum. My own fixie was built up from an old 653 Dawes I got off ebay for a song, and it's an absolute joy to ride. Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd take my time and wait for the right one to come along. Something like this, perhaps...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...1174243452?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f233e947c

Thats fantastic thanks.

The reynolds frame you link to has a lot...actually almost all of...the extra "stuff" that i'd want to add too, so it may actually be pretty good value too, even down to original cable clips, which i like.

Who knows i may even have a stab at that one tonight.

Thanks for the explanation on the rear gap. I chuckled as i read it because this morning i was thinking of challenges and was wondering how i get a thinner hub to fit in the stays on a bike that was designed for a cassette...i was imagining a stack of spacers or something.

At least i'm on the right track i guess, i just need to polish up on my technical expressions.

Thanks all.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One more thing....and this probably deserves its own thread but, would i be right in assuming that having a frame that has nice lugs, powder coated, could loose much of the definition of all the frilly bits.

If so, whats the best way to repaint, good ol'fashioned respray?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One more thing....and this probably deserves its own thread but, would i be right in assuming that having a frame that has nice lugs, powder coated, could loose much of the definition of all the frilly bits.

No you won't loose too much definition after a resray, you can always pick out the lugs in a contrasting lining colour.

Respray or powder coat. A good job won't be cheap.

Psyclist

Über Member

I got a quote of £50 added on top of the £90 for my Mercian for the lugs as they have to re-lap over the paint. Very tricky job for a painter to do. So I stuck with one colour, then I'm using one of these pens to lug line. If you decide to do what I did, don't buy a chalk type pen as they wash off. They have to be paint versions.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Those sorts of bikes come up all the time, and you can usually pick 'em up for £100 or so. The main thing to look for is a frame that's the right size for you, and good tubing - 531, 653, 753 - not just because the frame's the most important bit, and good frames are way nicer than second-rate ones, but also because the bits fittted to better bikes (which such 'good tube' bikes are) will all be of a higher quality. (I noticed that that one, eg, had Shimano 600 gears - not that you need gears for what you have in mind, but it's a sign of the kind of quality you can expect to find in wheels, BBs, headsets and so on.

Incidentally, those weren't canti brakes but calipers, and you'll find them fitted to *all* old bikes like these. They're fine. Virtually all good modern racing bikes will have brakes like those (apart from the fact that those particular ones were centre-pull, which you don't see nowadays...but they're ok.)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Incidentally, those weren't canti brakes but calipers, and you'll find them fitted to *all* old bikes like these. They're fine. Virtually all good modern racing bikes will have brakes like those (apart from the fact that those particular ones were centre-pull, which you don't see nowadays...but they're ok.)

So do centre pull brakes have the same lugs as modern...side pull...calipers.

I assumed not, but it would be interesting to know as it was the only thing that stopped me bidding on that example... I really don't like to idea of the fuss of centre pull brakes on my little project

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Take a look at my old Macinato. I went for a retro type look on it.:thumbsup:

p4pb8654845.jpg
I'm still considering your frame, but cant find any in my size. also the colour options are limited to just red or blue and i didn't fancy either this time round

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So do centre pull brakes have the same lugs as modern...side pull...calipers.

I assumed not, but it would be interesting to know as it was the only thing that stopped me bidding on that example... I really don't like to idea of the fuss of centre pull brakes on my little project
I'm not sure what you mean by 'lugs', but basically the only real difference with centre-pull brakes is that they have to have a sort of mounting point for the cable - one for each brake - like this:
brake.jpg

And on old bikes, you sometimes find these have got damaged or even broken, which can be a nuisance. If they're replaceable, like the one in the pic, it's no great disaster - your LBS will probably have one knocking about - but some are part of the frame, and that can be a nuisance. Overall though, centre pull brakes are ok. Plus they were all the rage back in the '70s-'80s, which means you can always find them going on ebay for a song if you have any problems.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what you mean by 'lugs'.

With canti's there's a mounting point on each stay, do centre pulls have any additional mounting pints on the frame or are they mounted via a central bolt through the middle of the brace at the top of the stays..(i couldnt se any other mounting pointsnin the images ofnthat example)...like modern calipers.

If the answer is that they both mount the same, then i'll be kicking myself for not bidding on that, so feel free to lie for my sake.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So that you can see where my head is, this is my design "dream"... the one that keeps me awake at nights!!.

if only on-one did an off white paint job, the forks are the same, geometry is similar...I'd be done by now!

Bikeprojectcopy_zpsf3207d84.jpg

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Centre pulls could have a bridge piece that bolted onto the frame, or on better quality frames (hand built) had braze ons.
Their position would not suit cantilever or V/straight pull brakes. Plus, centre pulls were fitted to bikes that used 27" wheels, not 700c.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
With canti's there's a mounting point on each stay, do centre pulls have any additional mounting pints on the frame [nope] or are they mounted via a central bolt [yup] ...like modern calipers.

If the answer is that they both mount the same, then i'll be kicking myself for not bidding on that, so feel free to lie for my sake.
See the nutted bolt almost in the middle of the image?
brake2.jpg

That's the only mounting. Same at the front end.

Top Bottom