frame advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dandare

Why not have a look at Dolans website. He does a cracking fixed frame complete with forks, headset, seatpost, with mudguard eyes for just over £200.00.
By the time you finish faffing around trying to find an old frame with horizontal dropouts. Then maybe having to cold set the rear dropouts for a track wheel plus a respray. It will always be a compromise. Better off with frame designed ffor the job.

Psyclist

Über Member
Why not have a look at Dolans website. He does a cracking fixed frame complete with forks, headset, seatpost, with mudguard eyes for just over £200.00.
By the time you finish faffing around trying to find an old frame with horizontal dropouts. Then maybe having to cold set the rear dropouts for a track wheel plus a respray. It will always be a compromise. Better off with frame designed ffor the job.

My parts for my 'budget' build Mercian cost nearly £400 in total for the build. However, I got my frame cheap (£80) I think if Jon buys a cheap 531 retro frame though, and doesn't respray it, he should be able to build a cheap'ish bike. Where as a Dolan would cost more to build on.

Jon, you never did tell us your budget :thumbsup:

monkeylc

Über Member
So that you can see where my head is, this is my design "dream"... the one that keeps me awake at nights!!.

if only on-one did an off white paint job, the forks are the same, geometry is similar...I'd be done by now!

Bikeprojectcopy_zpsf3207d84.jpg

that is gorgeous

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jon, you never did tell us your budget :thumbsup:

well, i started with a view if building a bike for less than the price of a semi decent shop brand. on that basis i looked at £400 as about right using the charge plug as a guide.

thing is, as i've gotten more and more fussy, i now want more from the build than i can get for that price, an old frame/ paint will set me back a good £200-£250 and a new frame probably a little more, wheels probably not far off that as well.

so now i don't really have much of a total budget in mind, what I hope to do is get the frame, paint, bars, callipers and cables for under £400 than wait and finish the rest over time with smaller purchases each month...sort of a wheel a month, that way ...in the world of Jonny...those extra bits are free! or kinda forgotten about.

i do realise that my total build is likely to be twice that budget after choosing the right saddle, seat post, headset and pedals, let alone the crank and i'm ok with that as its a very personal thing, you"ll notice i foolishly plan to brand the bike under the clear coat, with my name...this isn't just a fashion statement its a sign of my intention to make this a keeper.

Psyclist

Über Member
Ok, its not a "traditional" frame but it's made for the job, comes in the right colour (so I may not need to respray) and has internal cable routing, which appeals to the clean lines thing, the right size gap, proper drop outs

so what do you guys think of this frame from Dani Foffa

http://foffabikes.com/components/frames-and-forks/prima-2012-creme

...I would just need to figure out how to remove the logo

Very nice, looks just the job. Threaded headset too. Not too sure on how you'd remove a painted on logo though as it'd need sanding down and repainted over.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, I've been shopping and dropped over to Foffa to take a look (and feel) at their Prima frame. Danii Foffa is surprising in many ways but most of all because of how tall he is, I thought he looked tiny on the web shots.

Any how the prima is a good looking frame which feels light and reasonably stiff, has a drilled top tube for inner cable routing and is finished really well.

Danii offered great and very helpful advice, talked for a while about how best to build up on my own (offering some really helpful hints) and even offered to help put a bundle price together for the odd bits that I need. ...oh and he also told me the frame comes with or without decals...all great, positive stuff.

I had the cash in my wallet to buy one there and then...but didn't... something was nagging at me.

Nothing to do with the frames, they look superb to me, nor Foffa themselves, Danii seemed genuine, helpful and clearly wanted me to pick the right frame... for me.

What was nagging was the look. I didn't know what it was but his (and the frames over at brick lane) all looked "odd" to me in their geometry and this was the point.

I've leanrt a lot already from you guys and from 'tinternet and visiting shops and what i didnt...perhaps still don't...understand is the term "compact".

I thought a compact frame was a frame with a small triangle, which was achieved by shortening the length of the seat tube and kinda sloping the top tube to meet. What I now (at least i think i now) understand is that compact effects the length, not the height of the frame.

So Danii's frame, and BLB's and most others, are all kind of tall looking...bit ladder-ish and for a tall chap like me, this is stretched still further as you upsize the frame.

To the extent that the frame I was going to buy made me feel like I was "perched" atop the bike as opposed riding with it.My arms felt almost vertical and not stretched out and I sat almost upright. This tall look seems very in-vogue right now and I accept that, but i need a frame that allows me to commute 40 miles a day in comfort, and that feels familiar so that I dont confuse my tiny brain when i switch to the roadie on the odd day.

So, after all that banging on, what geometry do you recommend...compact...or traditional?

oh, and for what its worth, what's your understanding of the difference between them.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
A compact frame is when it fits the same sized rider but uses (some) shorter tubes, supposedly making for a more rigid frame.
I say 'supposedly' because you either have a rigid frame or you don't.
Your 'dream bike' has track geometry, which will make it accelerate quickly & will have 'fast' steering.
If you're an experienced cyclist it will feel 'lively', if you're not, it will feel 'twitchy'.

Star Strider

In my experience a decent 531 frame with 126mm drop outs will bolt up just fine on a 120mm hub, they tend not to need cold setting as they have plenty of spring to them.

Surly have even produced frames chromo frames with a middling OLN so you could swap between different hub types.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A compact frame is when it fits the same sized rider but uses (some) shorter tubes, supposedly making for a more rigid frame.

This is kind of how I always understood it.

problem is I cant tell the difference on sight now. Take a look at theses.

this is a traditional road frame, or so I am informed by a few bike shops.
image_zpsc9165419.jpg

and this is a compact... apparently, although I cant see a difference, if anything it looks like it has a taller seatpost, therefore bigger geometry
Bikeprojectcopy_zpsf3207d84.jpg

I always assumed that this was a compact frame, with a slopy top tube and smaller triangle and typically more seat post showing
on_one_macinato.jpg

Its tricky, not because of the frustrating phraseology but because i cant buy anything online without knowing for sure if its compact or not.

that Charge is looking more and more appealing...

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Well the white bike is not a compact by any way of looking at it, it is a traditional road frame, possibly with a very slight down sloping top tube so that the bars can be positioned lower. Generally speaking, a (rearward) sloping top tube is a compact frame.
Lots of people seem to enjoy their Charge bikes, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well the white bike is not a compact by any way of looking at it, it is a traditional road frame, possibly with a very slight down sloping top tube so that the bars can be positioned lower. Generally speaking, a (rearward) sloping top tube is a compact frame.
Lots of people seem to enjoy their Charge bikes, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.
My point exactly, yet I am told emphatically (By Daii Foffa himself) that it is a compact track frame?

it seems the term Compact is used to describe a multitude of frames.

simon.r

Person
I posted this on another thread about frame sizing, but I think it's relevant here. The Charge definitely isn't a compact frame, the Pompino I'd suggest is probably semi-compact. If you have a frame you're happy with the obvious answer is to get a frame with similar dimensions and then tweak the position with the stem length and rise. I've also fitted a slightly longer and lower rise stem to the Charge pictured since I took this photo. This is my first drop bar bike for years and I'm still adjusting to the difference from flat bars:

Here are two of my bikes. One has a 570mm seat tube, the other has a 630mm seat tube - both measured centre to top. The ETT on the Charge is about 10mm longer than the Pompino (590mm and 580mm resepctively). They both fit me well:smile: Which I think demonstrates that there's a massive range of adjustment that can be made by altering the seat-post and stem, and if you don't mind a bit of fork steerer showing!
pomp-003-jpg.18678.jpg
charge-jpg.18679.jpg

Edit - I'm 6'2" but have disproportionately long legs (not that disproportionate, I'm not freaky looking!), so in an ideal world I'd probably have a 'large' size frame for the seat tube length and a 'medium' for the top tube length:rolleyes: I'd rather have a shorter stem than an extra long seat-post, but you may prefer otherwise. It's a balancing act for those of us who don't have body shapes that conform to manufacturers norms.

Top Bottom