Frame bag recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Currently changing over my touring set up from a rack and panniers to more of a bike packing set up that distributes the weight all over.
Recommendations for a frame bag that won't rub on my chonky thighs please. Is it worth spending the silly money some companies charge or is a cheap one as good?

Jameshow

Veteran
I had rockbros one and the zip broke.

Wiggle own brand has been ok so far!!

Currently changing over my touring set up from a rack and panniers to more of a bike packing set up that distributes the weight all over.
Recommendations for a frame bag that won't rub on my chonky thighs please. Is it worth spending the silly money some companies charge or is a cheap one as good?

Alpkit get good reviews - I haven't got the frame bag but I have got other bags from them.
Not sure about frame rub - how close do your thighs get to the bike ?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I started out with a cheapish Topeak frame bag, they are relatively well made and a good price. It lasted only three years of moderate use though before the zip went, which is a major weak point of these designs, with a broken zip it's next to useless. If I lived in the UK I'd probably have sent it off to Alpkit to repair it.

I decided to invest instead in a new Apidura frame bag, much more expensive at nearly double the Topeak one, however, the difference in quality is really noticeable. Firstly it has many more mounting points, which admittedly is much more faff to mount, but unlike the cheaper Topeak, it really keeps it shape, no matter how it's packed, which helps prevent any rubbing on my legs. The overall quality of the materials is much better as is the zip and Apiduras customer service is top notch.

Apidura also do a nifty frame fit sizing tool, upload a side on photo of your bike to their website and then you go through a couple of easy steps to size your bike, then you can trail fit any of their range of frame bags to see which one works:

tom73

Guru
Alpkit I find to be good quality and stand up well. Alpkit also have a guarantee for years and a repair service. Phone them up or visit a store soon help you with any questions.
Also find restap to be good choice too.

13 rider

Guru
How about a tailfin rack and bag expensive but designed to fit any bike ,Lots of endurance race types use them

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
How about a tailfin rack and bag expensive but designed to fit any bike ,Lots of endurance race types use them

I considered this for my “rear end” but have gone for an Arkel seat pack. Like a traditional seat pack but with a small frame that clamps on to the seat post to eliminate wobble. Also expensive but I got one cheap 2nd hand. 15 litres so not as capacious as the tailfin’s 20 litres hence the need for a frame bag too.
20221026_162945.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
I considered this for my “rear end” but have gone for an Arkel seat pack. Like a traditional seat pack but with a small frame that clamps on to the seat post to eliminate wobble. Also expensive but I got one cheap 2nd hand. 15 litres so not as capacious as the tailfin’s 20 litres hence the need for a frame bag too.
View attachment 666083

Do you find it wags the bike so to speak?!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When it comes to bags it is worth paying the silly money if you want it all to work, for it to be light and to keep your gear dry.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have the Altura vortex one which matches your top tube bag (or the one you've pictured) they do a reasonable sized one that fits within the triangle. I also have their seat pack seat tube type one (doesn't have a frame but doesn't suffer much wobble) and bar bag.

Very please with all and very waterproof and weren't silly money.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Just thought I'd pop up these two photos showing the two bags packed up, the Topeak one is the top picture and you can see how it sags in the frame. There are only three narrow velcro straps holding it to the top tube and with the weight in there the pressure is on the zip and the stitching holding the velcro straps in. I could visibly see the stitching stretching and it was really a matter of which would fail first the stitching or the zip.

P1000457.JPG

In contrast the Apidura bag top tube mounting bands has a much wider triangulated attachment to the main bag and as such is much stronger. It also has four additional mounting straps, compared to the two of the Topeak bag. Overall the bag is much more stable in the frame and there is virtually no strain on the zip or the mounting attachments. The Apidura bag is actually packed heavier than the Topeak one in these pictures, because the Apidura one also has a 1.5 litre water bladder in the front of it, as well as food a mug, a coffee maker and a few other sundry items. It also has a concealed port for a drinking hose for the water bladder if I wanted it.

P1010567.JPG

Overall the more expensive bag is a far better investment, by dint of it's better design the Apidura bag not only carries more weight, but it sags less and as such interferes with your legs less. Also the Apidura bag bag is fully waterproof whereas the Topeak one is just water resistant.

So for me, investing a bit more money in a quality bag is a no brainer, the Apidura bag is a far superior bag that will hopefully last a good many years of riding.

Top Bottom