Frame Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

I'd like to build up a single speed with fixed potential on a budget, would this be a viable frame geometry wise? From the shoot picture I think it has horizontal dropouts and clamp on handlebars but I'm not sure at all - Going to see it Tuesday to test it size wise and to confirm those things.

I'd like to go Bulhorns, whether thats flipping and cutting or buying them in so should I go for more or less or the same reach than my very compact feeling tricross.

I'm thinking dark green frame, tan tape and saddle though thats not settled at all. To be a blitzing around/into town bike in a fairly hilly area (though I have climbed the biggest hill in the middle ring fairly comfortably today). Should I be worried about road quality (shitty) when chooosing components or not fussed.

Also whats the score with wheels, do I just swap out the cassette for a single ring for now or is it a depends on type of wheel thing or do I need to build one up with a new hub (I know I will if I want to go flip flop hub).

OP
OP
D

david1701

I've been reading sheldon on the subject and it didn't really help, I could just use all stock parts and take off the deraileur and add some spacers but I think going flip flop is better so I can choose?

D

Deleted member 1258

I'd like to build up a single speed with fixed potential on a budget, would this be a viable frame geometry wise? From the shoot picture I think it has horizontal dropouts and clamp on handlebars but I'm not sure at all - Going to see it Tuesday to test it size wise and to confirm those things.

I'd like to go Bulhorns, whether thats flipping and cutting or buying them in so should I go for more or less or the same reach than my very compact feeling tricross.

I'm thinking dark green frame, tan tape and saddle though thats not settled at all. To be a blitzing around/into town bike in a fairly hilly area (though I have climbed the biggest hill in the middle ring fairly comfortably today). Should I be worried about road quality (shitty) when chooosing components or not fussed.

Also whats the score with wheels, do I just swap out the cassette for a single ring for now or is it a depends on type of wheel thing or do I need to build one up with a new hub (I know I will if I want to go flip flop hub).

Yes its suitable for a fixed conversion, its fitted with a gear block/freewheel rather than a cassette so the OLN, the space between the dropouts, should be the same as a flipflop rear hub. If you are going down the single speed road you should be able to use the original wheel, providing its in good condition, if you want to go fixed it would be easier to get a wheel with a flipflop hub. I wouldn't pay much more than the fifty quid already showing though.

OP
OP
D

david1701

its been relisted at least once so I reckon he'll take an offer, thinking 2x£20s cash and in person?

I reckon I'd like to do a lot to it so I'll probably go flip flop off the bat and flog any bits in good nick to fund additonal tweaks. I have access to real good spraying so it'll be a bare frame job.

Where would you buy parts online- I've been hunting?

You'll be fine with that frame, I've done it myself, here's the before and after pics of the fixed gear conversion I did...... admittedly I went to town on it, (not literally!). I used the original bars, stem and brake caliper, and then 'blinged' it with a smoothed frame, (filled the internal cable routing, ground of the shifter bosses etc), then a pearl white paint job, retro P10 decals, Sugino crank, Halo track cog, 1/8' chain, Charge wheelset, new brake lever, new seatpost, new headset and Brooks saddle and bartape.

1988peugeotaspin12speed.jpg
sideviewangled.jpg

One thing to be aware of with Peugeot frames, many of them use a 24mm seatpost, and these are rarer than hens teeth! I needed a longer post as they were only ever very short ones they used, and I managed to find an ebay seller supplying a 22.2mm post with a professionally machined shim. Some people use bean cans/coke cans as shims, but I think you can tell form my build that I had no intention of doing such a thing.

I've just started a new Peugeot project as well, this time I'm doing a 10 speed conversion, and once again I need a 24mm seatpost :cursing: Watch this space.

As was mentioned, I wouldn't pay very much more than the current bid, there are plenty of bikes out there, but they are experiencing a renaissance, and as such prices can get silly at times, be patient if you want to save £££'s.

Good luck and have fun if you go for it :thumbsup:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Imho it does have horizontal dropouts, and clamp on handlebars. It is however impossible to tell what the diameter of the handlebar is given the vintage, so it might or might not be straightforward to get a new handlebar of your choice without also changing the stem.

It looks like a 21" frame to me.

The components that have the greatest impact on comfort for poor road surface are the tyres (and the pressure you put in) - wider tyres (that will fit within the forks/frame/mudguard if any) running at lowish pressure will be considerably more comfortable than the opposite.

Although not definite, it is most likely that the rear wheel has a freewheel and not freehub (i.e. no cassette). Although the chainline won't be perfect there is nothing to stop you running the existing wheel and indeed chain suitably shortened with a bmx freewheel initially to turn it into a ss. If you like it you can go further with more bling, new flipflop wheel, single chainring chainset etc.

If you don't like it you can flock it losing possibly nothing.

Where would you buy parts online- I've been hunting?
http://freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/Home.html

http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Charlie-The-Bikemonger?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Magic-Bike-Mike?_rdc=1

Just Google 'fixed gear parts' and you'll be swamped with sites. Always check prices though, some of these places really know how to charge, and lots of sites operate on ebay as well as their standard online shops, and prices can vary, or you might free p&p on ebay for example.

OP
OP
D

david1701

dam thats sexy Smokey. Aye RecordAce I have a feeling its an aged relatives bike and he's flogging it so might have measured it wrong?

I'm thinking to just man up and go for sexy slick 22s as my sisters bike is soooo rapid to ride with its light frame and thin tyres.

Would the chainset/wheelset be worth much to ebay for someone building up a racer. Love the idea of grinding off and smoothing, I reckon build for £250 less whatever I make back ebaying? £40 frame, £100 wheels, £20 tyres, £35 saddle, maybe reuse bars maybe £25 there, £30 for a chainset.

OP
OP
D

david1701

cheers for those links. If I buy the frame I can put aside money and buy bits every now and again I reckon, ride it for a while as is/ locked to one gear/ something then strip it down once I have the wheels :biggrin:

On thoughts I have a friend who might want first dibs on a lot of those parts so could be handy

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
One thing to be aware of with Peugeot frames, many of them use a 24mm seatpost, and these are rarer than hens teeth! I needed a longer post as they were only ever very short ones they used, and I managed to find an ebay seller supplying a 22.2mm post with a professionally machined shim. Some people use bean cans/coke cans as shims, but I think you can tell form my build that I had no intention of doing such a thing.

I've just started a new Peugeot project as well, this time I'm doing a 10 speed conversion, and once again I need a 24mm seatpost :cursing: Watch this space.

Nice conversion smokey! :thumbsup:

Regarding machining the shim, given they should have exactly the same thickness, have you considered starting off with a stock 25.4/27.2mm shim? There might even be a chance that no reduction of its circumference is required.

OP
OP
D

david1701

fortunately I have access to people who will make me stuff if it comes up.

What are your thoughts re brake levers, I saw a few for aero bars that go in like a plug and point down the bar, would that and a crosstop be a cool solution or a shitty one?

cheers for those links. If I buy the frame I can put aside money and buy bits every now and again I reckon, ride it for a while as is/ locked to one gear/ something then strip it down once I have the wheels :biggrin:

On thoughts I have a friend who might want first dibs on a lot of those parts so could be handy
I sold all the original bits I didn't use on fleabay, didn't get very much TBH, but every little helps :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

david1701

aye, hell if I put enough in paypal to buy up the chainset it would be nice or maybe some cool pedals or somat. Thinking toe clips rather than spds because its a general purpose run around - thoughts?

Nice conversion smokey! :thumbsup:

Regarding machining the shim, given they should have exactly the same thickness, have you considered starting off with a stock 25.4/27.2mm shim? There might even be a chance that no reduction of its circumference is required.

I thank you. Started out as a budget fixed conversion, then I threw caution to the wind :whistle:

I haven't considered anything shim/post wise for my current project, I'm not that way inclined, (engineering etc). I can build a bike and I can maintain my bikes perfectly well, but if something doesn't fit I tend to throw money at it :rolleyes:
Trouble is money's a problem right now! So this project could take a while :angry:

fortunately I have access to people who will make me stuff if it comes up.

What are your thoughts re brake levers, I saw a few for aero bars that go in like a plug and point down the bar, would that and a crosstop be a cool solution or a shitty one?
If you're using the original bars I'd use something like THIS/THESE That's what I used on the conversion above, but if you go for bullhorns you could use the aero levers. Here's my Langster Steel with bullhorns and Sram TT500 levers............

langstersteel.jpg

Just for a reference point, this is my current project...............

img0750m.jpg

img0752l.jpg

Top Bottom