Frame Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam.james

Just picked up a Rose Xeon CRS second hand. Considering its an eight year old bike it's in very good nick..only thing...the frame is a matt white carbon and could really do with a good clean. Looking for some recommendations on cleaning products and methods etc as I've been told cleaning this frame could be tricky.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Test on a small area first!

I've found window cleaner can be very good for shifting problem dirt, oil etc. No idea what effect it might have on a matt finish.

Household polish is also good but I've never used on matt paintwork.

I believe the advice for matt frames is, once you have it clean do not wax as the was fills in the surface texture making the bike less matt but still not shiny:ohmy:

I think these is a GCN video on cleaning Matt frames, may be worth having a look on their YouTube channel

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a matt frame, it's the worst finish because it picks up oily marks for fun and holds them. I've tried all sorts of cleaners and found mild abrasives like car polish and T Cut work well if used gently, especially as they contain solvents to remove the grease.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I had a matt black frame once.
Ride a hundred yards down a lane in summer and it looked like it had been buried in a ploughed field for 6 months, dug up and sprayed with cow muck.

My recommendation for cleaning is simple....... don't bother. Wipe the moving bits down with an oily rag occasionally and just accept it's going to look filthy ALL the time. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had a matt black frame once.
Ride a hundred yards down a lane in summer and it looked like it had been buried in a ploughed field for 6 months, dug up and sprayed with cow muck.
That's Yorkshire for you... :whistle:

Top Bottom