Frame Cobblers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like a new frame but my god is there a load of cobblers to wade through:

Steel is real/steel is heavy
Ti is the ultimate/is too expensive, noodly
Carbon is king, the future/is harsh, fragile

And banging on about ride quality - surely the tyres, tyre pressure, the wheels, the forks, seatpost, saddle, stem and bars have much more bearing on ride quality than the frame material?

And then there is bloody geometry. Arrrggh. Where does it end?

I would like a carbon frame for its light weight and power transfer but it has longevity and 'ride comfort' issues. Tried a Bianchi 928 C2C - hated it, harsh and dull all at the same time.

Titanium seems the way to go but is it any better that a quality steel frame?

Steel, good old steel but is it for Luddites? 953 sounds like the Holy Grail but people are hardly signing up in droves are they?

Plus with a frame, who do you know how it is going to perform before you actually buy and build the thing?

At the mo' I am looking at Look Carbon, Custom Ti from Enigma or a steel delicacy from someone like Brian Rouke.

So can someone give me some real advice that isn't paid for by a marketing budget?

Probably the easiest way is to specify what qualities you are after and ask lots of people which bikes provide them.

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

Of course.

I want light weight, plush ride quality, longevity, suberb power transfer, comfort and kudos.

And the moon on a stick.

I would like a bike for long, hilly sportives, if that helps. I'm unlikely to do anything more competitive other than TTs and my old frame would be well suited to that.

As for testing, it isn't always that easy -it requires a real trip in some cases and it all goes back to bike set up - the gear on the bike is going to be a huge factor, so how do you get a objective ride?

Kirstie said:
Also what do you want to do with the frame?
Road, tour, CX etc?
Why not test ride some to see what you prefer?

My LBS lent me a Giant TCR 1 for a week. This gave me a very good idea what I wanted - a responsive bike with a good ride that wasn't harsh on long rides. I bought an Airborne Zeppelin titanium frame and the LBS advised on appropriate choices for all the rest of it and built it up. It's a joy to ride and just what I wanted.

Also what is your budget?
I'd go for Ti or Carbon. There's not a lot in it at the higher end of the market. When my buddy (who has a Merlin Ti frame) and myself (who has a Kestrel full carbon frame) compare what we like and don't like about our bikes, we both end up saying the same ie: lightweight, incredible comfort, great responsiveness and power transfer, with a really nice, controlled poinginess.
So what really matters is fit. I'd say go to one of these fitting places (Julies cycles in leicester do this) and that will begin to tell you will and won't find comfortable.

Kirstie said:
Also what is your budget?
we both end up saying the same ie: lightweight, incredible comfort, great responsiveness and power transfer, with a really nice, controlled poinginess.
So what really matters is fit. .

Logic tells me that the manufacturers will have worked this out and designed accordingly for the bulk of the market. Those who want maximum efficiency at the price of comfort will go for an ultra stiff aluminium frame.

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

"controlled poinginess"

THAT'S what I want!

Budget is about £800-£1400 max and I must admit that for that price, I should really get a custom fitting. Eulogy will do it for £99 and of course builders like B.Rourke do it also.

Love the phto btw.

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

Shouldn't you be in Soapbox Patrick?

Disgruntled Goat said:
Shouldn't you be in Soapbox Patrick?

What a stupid suggestion. Don't you know anything?

There you are, a bit of Soapbox to make you feel at home. :ohmy:

Kirstie's point about the poininginess is an interesting one. You'd think that you'd not get this with a carbon frame because of the ridgidity, but the manufacturers seem to know how to design it in, which all goes back to the point about their knowing what suits the majority of customers.

Disgruntled Goat said:
"controlled poinginess"

THAT'S what I want!

Budget is about £800-£1400 max and I must admit that for that price, I should really get a custom fitting. Eulogy will do it for £99 and of course builders like B.Rourke do it also.

Love the phto btw.

Ooh ta - it was taken on my honeymoon at long beach, Vancouver Island.
Is your budget for the frame alone or for a complete bike (hope it's the latter)? And I'm so glad someone else understands what I mean by 'poinginess' - its very important, I find.

Top Bottom