Frame materials?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Lacquer has UV inhibitors in it, and carbon fibre does not rust.
The UV inhibitors themselves fail over time, but that's by the by.

We've been here before many time. Different materials, designs, preferences....choose what works for you or, if you'd rather, that which simply makes you feel good.

screenman

Legendary Member
Was anyone here riding carbon 25 years ago. As Drago says, buy what you like.

I would hope most people are using paint sealants which also contain UV inhibitors on their bikes.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I prefer steel over aluminum, I just like the properties better. Carbon fiber simply out of the question, economically and probably from an engineering standpoint in my case. Here in the States, we don't have a C2W scheme(That would be a tax on the Job Creator!!!)((yeah,whatever)) and CF frames are quite expensive, along with my size and weight would shorten the lifespan of such a fine bit of progress. I leave that sort of thing to others, and preserve the metal bikes. (My volunteer work, besides weather observation, is fixing up old bikes for the poor).

adscrim

Veteran
Was anyone here riding carbon 25 years ago.

I had a British Eagle mountain bike 22/23 ish years ago that had carbon tubes and alu lugs. I crashed it into a tree and cracked the top tube after about 18 months though, so no idea about how it would have lasted. Lovely looking bike.

The same summer, my brother crashed a blood red steel Pinarello into the back of a fiesta and put a spectacular ripple in the down tube (hit it square and the wheel stayed true!). We were not very popular at home for a while. It was replaced by a blue and yellow Colnago with the corregated tubes that my Dad still rides.

vickster

Legendary Member
The UV inhibitors themselves fail over time, but that's by the by.

We've been here before many time. Different materials, designs, preferences....choose what works for you or, if you'd rather, that which simply makes you feel good.

Or have one of each ;) I am missing titanium and bamboo is far too hippy environmental for me!

screenman

Legendary Member
The CF forks on my Cannondale are about 14 years old and I expect them to still be in use in 11 years time.

I have a spare pair of CF forks off my old Bianchi . They are 16 years old and are still fine.

We have some old carbon in the family collection, none has dissolved yet either.

BigAl68

Über Member
I have 2 aluminium one with and one without carbon forks, a British Steel and a carbon bike. I like each one and to be honest I think anything lasts if you look after it. No need to be fixated on one material IMHO

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is, no one makes carbon road bikes for the husky gentleman. The standard payload limit for virtually all road bikes of any quality is 105kg. A bit of a ball ache for those of us heavier than that.

This has left me restricted to metal frames. True, they all share the same industry standard weight limit, but the material is liable to fail in a progressive manner and give warning, whereas carbon fails in an explosive manner and tends to give none.

Take heed manufacturers - what's the point of XL sized road frames that share the same payload limit as the S one's?

In all likelihood it'd be fine, but I don't have a couple of grand I would be happy to lose on a gamble.

Top Bottom