Frame materials?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You know this how?
If you'd prefer it ...

My Cannondale's carbon fibre forks have been ridden for about 14 years and so far show no signs of any problems. I aim to carry on riding them unless they explode or I spot something wrong with them before they explode!

My Bianchi CF forks also had 13 or 14 years of use. They have not exploded yet and look ok apart from their very odd Mercatone Uno/Bianchi paintjob. They have been sitting in my junk box unused for 2 or 3 years, but I may resurrect them at some point, spray them black, and replace the steel forks on my Basso with them. I would then aim to carry on riding them unless they were to explode or I were to spot something wrong with them before they exploded!

If I spot significant numbers of news reports of old Bianchi or Cannondale CF forks exploding unprovoked, I might consider a preemptive scrapping programme. :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User16625

It's all fat. I got 20" more fat round my chest than my waist.

I hear thats really bad. Fat around your chest is even more likely to have detrimental effects on your organs than fat around your big arse. This because your heart, lungs and god knows what else are located in the chest which, in your case, is where the fat is.

tyred

Legendary Member
You can buy frames made from non-ferrous materials:ohmy:Whatever will they think of next.:wacko:You'll be telling me it's possible to have more than three gears:stop:

Problem is, no one makes carbon road bikes for the husky gentleman. The standard payload limit for virtually all road bikes of any quality is 105kg.

Reynolds used to make a steel tubeset so thin that you could crush it by hand. The resultant bikes, made only by certified framebuilders, were ultralight pro-grade racers. They also make tubes suitable for the harshest mis-use by baggage handlers and expedition tourists.
The same could be said for any material. If you use enough carbon fibre, of high enough grade, made using the strongest method, you could make a fine bike for heavyweight riders or tourists. Custom shops like Parlee do exactly this.

screenman

Legendary Member
Reynolds used to make a steel tubeset so thin that you could crush it by hand. The resultant bikes, made only by certified framebuilders, were ultralight pro-grade racers. They also make tubes suitable for the harshest mis-use by baggage handlers and expedition tourists.
The same could be said for any material. If you use enough carbon fibre, of high enough grade, made using the strongest method, you could make a fine bike for heavyweight riders or tourists. Custom shops like Parlee do exactly this.

Columbus went down to 0.4 mm on one tube set.

Columbus went down to 0.4 mm on one tube set.
Reynolds 537 was a stupid-light 0.3mm on initial version, but beefed up later because of the beercan effect.

Top Bottom