frame, no forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
I think this could be a daft question, but here we go:
I have just been browsing eBay and there seem to be lots of frames for sale without front forks. Am I right in thinking that most will have had a front collision and the forks have been bent, or is there some sort of preference for people keeping the forks to themselves?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have just been browsing eBay and there seem to be lots of frames for sale without front forks. Am I right in thinking that most will have had a front collision and the forks have been bent, or is there some sort of preference for people keeping the forks to themselves?
You are probably half right, Although MTBers like to keep a good fork if they have one, but most MTBs come with rubbish forks anyway.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

I always try and steer away from frame only sales to avoid this risk

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think what appears on eBay may be what's left over after a fork has been stolen off a locked bike on the street or the fork has been taken off to replace a damaged one on another bike. Probably just the owner trying to recoup a few quid. Likewise, I would give them as miss in case they've been crashed. It also makes a build more expensive the more bits are missing. You'd also need to source a new headset.

I think what appears on eBay may be what's left over after a fork has been stolen off a locked bike on the street or the fork has been taken off to replace a damaged one on another bike. Probably just the owner trying to recoup a few quid. Likewise, I would give them as miss in case they've been crashed. It also makes a build more expensive the more bits are missing. You'd also need to source a new headset.
Yes! I agree with you as I am in a similar position in having to source some forks if I want to make my bike look more like the original. It could be that the forks were damaged or that someone fancied a pair of chrome forks. Whatever the case it has made it more of a problem for me!

Top Bottom