frame size- 19" or 21"?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i know this is probably an annoying subject, and i should go to a dealer and try the frames, but frankly, i dont drive, and the dealer ive seen a deal with is like 50 miles away.so, can anyone help me choose which frame size to order??

looking at a dawes discovery 501, and cannot find geometry dimensions anywhere, have even emailed dawes, but no reply as of yet. my dimensions are:-

height: 185cm
sternum notch: 151cm
inseam length:86.5cm
arm length:68cm

i put these into frame size calculator at wrenchscience.com

and this came up with:-
framesize center to center: 56cm
" center to top: 58cm
overall reach: 70.25
saddle height:76cm(approx)

but this was for road racing bikes- is this relevant, etc etc.

gratefull for any help, as i said, am unsure how dawes calculate their frame sizes..

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You really need to try it. You wouldn't listen to my advice on what size shoes to buy would you?

Its a very expensive thing to buy on internet advice,

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
i have a local dealer that stocks 2008 models, but dont believe in getting his help then going somewhere else, but cannot afford the full price...

also, if i tried a bile that was too small/ too big, i probably wouldnt know!- are there any pointers, i mean obviously if i cant reach the handlebars or "get my leg over" (happens a lot :blush:) the crossbar, then its too big, but other than that...???

doyler78

dantheman said:
i have a local dealer that stocks 2008 models, but dont believe in getting his help then going somewhere else, but cannot afford the full price...

LBS are often very willing to move on prices. Go in explain the bike you want and your budget. Ask him/her for a test ride and if your show your love for the bike (assuming it is what you want) he/she may be prepared to move on the price a bit and if he/she doesn't well at least you haven't done anything now that conflicts with you sense of fair play as they knew your budget :blush:

Dan you've made a good start sizing yourself up but if you're at the stage where you're not confident you'll know if a bike is right when you try it, then you not only need to try it but several others as well. I have never bought a bike without a test ride.

It's not just about if the frame size is right, it's about whether you feel right on it, comfortable, balanced etc...

I remember buying my first mtn bike. Having ridden only road bikes I was not sure what I was looking for. It took me many test rides to find the one that suited both me and how I wanted to use it. I rode one bike twice. You just have to get out and ride them, no two ways about it. Beg a lift if needs be but ride it and a few others.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would second what Crackle says, nothing beats test riding a bike to find out if the fit is right for you...

MarkF

Guru
Dan, I am 1.85 and also the same inside leg, my 201 was 21" and I was too cramped, anything over 10 miles was a comfort problem and I was continually shuffling around. My 501 is 23" and that is fine.:biggrin:

Don't, whatever you do, buy the 19" it'll be too small.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice thus far, went out trying frames of different bikes on saturday, boy, now i realise why so many "proper" riders wont go near halfords, i admit to not knowing much about bikes, so buying one from a "kid" who (blatantly) knows less tyhan me, what a laugh!!. and then, being told i can test ride- like 5 metres along shop floor- AND WITH TOTALLY FLAT TYRES!!! what a joke- he didnt even offer to inflate a bit when i said!!..

anyway, their 20 inch frame was not bad size. I then went to another lbs, who offered me a trek t30, i believe (i think this is a tourer, even though i was asking for a hybrid), and he suggested a 22.5" frame (which was like just touching my balls!) as be said i looked too scrunched up on the 21". and that i should be sitting almost upright?? - to me the 21 felt okay, but he doesnt do test rides- because "once its ridden it secondhand" - shame, seemed like a nice bloke.. but hey, it werent what i want anyway, cant stand gripshift gears, got them on my mtb.- but did find out that ive been riding for 3 years with my seat too low!

Then i went to the local dawes seller, (the 501 looks great, but this years paint not as nice), they didnt however have a dawes in correct size on show, and they were pretty busy too!

i was almost definitely gonna order the 21", but cheers MarkF ;) , now im not so sure...

oh well, maybe i cannot escape the fact i may have to ask the seller to let me try the 21" and maybe 23" out- and the day off work, and the 25 pound train fare, oh well..

Top Bottom