Frame size confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

I think I'll spend some time today trying to free up the various seized connectors on the handlebars, saddle and front wheel. Try to make some adjustments.
Maybe only a small change is needed.
Post #13 summed up my situation well. My left shoulder, elbow and wrist are aching today:
> Too far forward and the rider is leaning forwards over the bars and front wheel and supporting a lot of weight through the arms. It can lead to the bike feeling small. This is what you described .<

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mikey, I think he is actually ’on tour’ at the mo so might be a while before he picks up on it.

If you can’t free up those seized components check out the yard sales in your area as you might be able to pick up something cheap to swap things over onto.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

Seized hex bolts. Is it worth a try with an electric drill + hex bit? Worried about stripping the thread and making my task even worse...
To clarify: I am talking about 6mm Allen key connectors, which are used throughout the bike.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Seized hex bolts. Is it worth a try with an electric drill + hex bit?
No. you need a long bar and plenty of leverage, not the high speed of a drill. all it will do it bounce out of the hex head and damage it from the inside making it harder to remove.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
some sort of hollow bar to slip over the end and increase your leverage is also useful

Jody

Stubborn git
19.5" frame should be ample for someone at 5"10.

Could you put the saddle at correct height and take a picture sideways on with you on it.

Reactions: C R
You need to set your saddle to the correct height ( thete is no default height) and post a side image.

A well setup bike will often/generally have the bar height at +- 2" to the saddle height. Bars heigher than the saddle are used by newbie riders or for comfort needs. Experienced riders can set the bars between 0 and -4". The choice between a lower bar and a longer (stem) is something people experiment with.

Last edited:
@HobbesOnTour
Any advice for a Trek 800 owner?

Congratulations! You've got a bike for a bit of recreational riding and one that will bring you anywhere you want to go!

1. Listen to @DCBassman they've restored at least one of these. If they say put it upside then do it.
2. Try to post a photo of you on the bike as requested.

This is Roccado when I first got him and you can see my stem is higher than yours. I have no idea what size frame it is. I went by feel.

This is Roccado the other day - if you ignore the Colombian mountains and epic canyon behind 😊 and look closely the handlebars are higher

I changed the stem for an extra long one. I prefer a more upright position on tour and I carry bottles in strange places.

You have a great bike. Potentially. I don't know if it is the right size for you but I don't see many people riding those types of bikes with such a low saddle and low bars.

Did you buy it in a shop? Bring it back to get unstuck.
Do you have any friends who cycle? Perhaps they can help.
YouTube is a great source of videos for DIY projects. Try searching.
Also, this is a great, helpful and friendly community. As good as they are they can only work with what you give them.

Good luck and maybe see you in Ushuia^_^

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

Good news...apart from the quick release lever (!) on the front wheel, I was able to move all of the hex bolts and connectors on the bike. Just by using some "Shock and Unlock" spray and Allen keys with decent sized handles. Saddle, handlebar stem, gear and brake connectors on the handlebar, even the handlebar bracket itself.
So I should be able to adjust and/or replace components on this bike fairly easily.
The saddle was as far forward as it could go. I adjusted this back to about half way and could instantly feel more weight being carried by my derriere, less by my arms.
I was still looking downwards, though. So I thought I would try to raise the handlebar height.
I unscrewed the stem a couple of turns and tried to pull the handlebars up. No movement. I left it then, unsure of what to do, of damaging something. More research by me needed on this.
Feeling more positive about this bike...Maybe we could work together one day.

Good news...apart from the quick release lever (!) on the front wheel, I was able to move all of the hex bolts and connectors on the bike. Just by using some "Shock and Unlock" spray and Allen keys with decent sized handles. Saddle, handlebar stem, gear and brake connectors on the handlebar, even the handlebar bracket itself.
So I should be able to adjust and/or replace components on this bike fairly easily.
The saddle was as far forward as it could go. I adjusted this back to about half way and could instantly feel more weight being carried by my derriere, less by my arms.
I was still looking downwards, though. So I thought I would try to raise the handlebar height.
I unscrewed the stem a couple of turns and tried to pull the handlebars up. No movement. I left it then, unsure of what to do, of damaging something. More research by me needed on this.
Feeling more positive about this bike...Maybe we could work together one day.
The bolt on top of the stem ends in a wedge which has to be forced down a few mm. With the bolt loosened a few turns ( but not any more) you need to smack the top of the bolt with a hammer BUT that will dent the bolt so USE PROTECTION such as a bit of hardwood.

When the wedge is free you can twist the bars and stem. It may be siezed in place. Apply magic liquid of you choice, leave for a day or 2 and try agsin.

Top Bottom