Frame size confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How many turns? I am worried the wedge may drop off if I unscrew too much.
Don't worry, you'll be able to retrieve it with a bit of poking with a poky thing.
I've done it many a time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How many turns? I am worried the wedge may drop off if I unscrew too much.
2 or 3 - enough for the wedge to be able to pop out so it can move up and down the steerer tube. then set it at correct height and tighten it back up again

Remember to look for the 'minimum insertion' mark once you get it free and cleaned. Don't be tempted to get the bars higher than that.
As for the QRs, I've probably got my originals here somewhere if you'd like them. Just postage.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

> As for the QRs, I've probably got my originals here somewhere if you'd like them. Just postage. <
The quick release levers are in OK condition. But one of them I can't move at the moment.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@mikey567 where are you based as somebody on cc might be close enough to help

As others have said slacken the quill stem bolt just a couple of turns and give the bolt a quick whack to release the wedge

If the quick release won't undo by hand try putting a ring spanner over the end and use that to give you more leverage

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

Yesterday, I made some progress on adjusting my bike. Today I have hit a brick wall.
1) NOT FIXED: Stuck QR lever on front wheel. Tried the ring spanner technique. It bent the spanner!
Question: Should I try the nut on the other side of the wheel?
2) NOW FIXED: Raising the handlebars. Unscrewed the quill stem bolt by 3 turns, bashed down with a hammer handle. Could wiggle the bolt around, it doesn't seem stuck.
Tried to free the quill stem from the steerer tube, by holding the front wheels and rotating the handlebars. No luck there, I stopped as I was worried about bending the front wheel.
Unscrewed the cap and washer on the big nut, which exposed the place where the stem and steerer tube meet. Scraped out any muck and tried a couple of rounds of penetrating fluid. Still not able to free the stem.
Went inside and did the crossword for 20 mins. Then was able to free up the stem.
Question: How much can I safely raise the bars by? There are some ||| markings after about an inch.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yesterday, I made some progress on adjusting my bike. Today I have hit a brick wall.
1) NOT FIXED: Stuck QR lever on front wheel. Tried the ring spanner technique. It bent the spanner!
Question: Should I try the nut on the other side of the wheel?
2) NOW FIXED: Raising the handlebars. Unscrewed the quill stem bolt by 3 turns, bashed down with a hammer handle. Could wiggle the bolt around, it doesn't seem stuck.
Tried to free the quill stem from the steerer tube, by holding the front wheels and rotating the handlebars. No luck there, I stopped as I was worried about bending the front wheel.
Unscrewed the cap and washer on the big nut, which exposed the place where the stem and steerer tube meet. Scraped out any muck and tried a couple of rounds of penetrating fluid. Still not able to free the stem.
Went inside and did the crossword for 20 mins. Then was able to free up the stem.
Question: How much can I safely raise the bars by? There are some ||| markings after about an inch.
Yes try the nut on the other side as if too tight it can stop the qr working

Those marks are the max height for the stem so they need to be inside the frame not exposed .

> As for the QRs, I've probably got my originals here somewhere if you'd like them. Just postage. <
The quick release levers are in OK condition. But one of them I can't move at the moment.
QRs are sometimes fitted incorectly. Pist close up pic so we can see position of cam lever.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

Pics of QR lever, pull towards you to release:

Picsof stem, i have raised it about 1.5 inches from former position:
stem1.JPG

stem2.JPG

Looking at the stock pic I posted on page 1, it's clear that the stem has been changed for one with a lower rise and longer reach. Maybe think about changing that.
As for QR, mole grip on the nut on the other end.

OP
OP
mikey567

mikey567

The writing on the stem mentions "MINI INSERT", then some dimensions. If this the minimum insertion line, I can't raise the bars as much as I would like to.
I'll have a go at the QR tomorrow. Good progress made today, however.

Last edited:
Top Bottom