Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How is the frame size determined? Some manufacturers measure differently to others. Centre bottom bracket to mid top tube,
Centre bottom bracket to top seat tube,
Centre bottom bracket to top of top tube and others. Then you have standover height which is different if a sloping top tube is involved.
Very true. And at least one manufacturer, ridgeback, changed its system over the years. Only recently discovered this. Explained a certain mystery my befuddled brain had been struggling with.

MrPorridge

I, quite literally, feel your pain. I'm a shortarse (5'6") with short legs and I'm finding that bike sizing isn't easy.

I'm currently struggling on a 52cm Ribble CGR that's a bit too big for me. My conkers are lightly in contact with the top tube unless I dismount with the bike at a slight angle. What I didn't expect is that this isn't the hassle I thought it would be. My main problem is the reach as the CGR has a reasonably long top tube. Even with a short-ish stem (90mm), I'm getting a lot of arm pain from locked elbows.

Luckily the bike is only on loan (from my brother) and so I'm drawing up a little list of possible, smaller bikes, including the CGR in 49cm. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford the 105 groupset and hydraulic brakes but I suppose a better fitting bike with slightly lower-spec components (Tiagra, mechanical disks) is the way to go.

Could you put inserts into the heels of your shoes just to lift you up a bit of wear shoes with heels ?
No need. As a fellow short person, I designed the following Noddy Holder (you're almost certainly too young to know who he was) signature bike shoes. No word back from the manufacturers (or Noddy) yet but once the whole 70's cycling revival gets going I can see great demand for these:

40950465642_186f106849_b.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
You could potentially look at 'women's' frames which tend to have a taller headtube and shorter reach?

I, quite literally, feel your pain. I'm a shortarse (5'6") with short legs and I'm finding that bike sizing isn't easy.

I'm currently struggling on a 52cm Ribble CGR that's a bit too big for me. My conkers are lightly in contact with the top tube unless I dismount with the bike at a slight angle. What I didn't expect is that this isn't the hassle I thought it would be. My main problem is the reach as the CGR has a reasonably long top tube. Even with a short-ish stem (90mm), I'm getting a lot of arm pain from locked elbows.

Luckily the bike is only on loan (from my brother) and so I'm drawing up a little list of possible, smaller bikes, including the CGR in 49cm. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford the 105 groupset and hydraulic brakes but I suppose a better fitting bike with slightly lower-spec components (Tiagra, mechanical disks) is the way to go.

No need. As a fellow short person, I designed the following Noddy Holder (you're almost certainly too young to know who he was) signature bike shoes. No word back from the manufacturers (or Noddy) yet but once the whole 70's cycling revival gets going I can see great demand for these:

View attachment 421890
You could always go for the Elton John's / Pinball Wizard boots .

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi guys. I've decided that I'm going to sell the Bianchi. It's nice to ride but it is too big. I bought it in July for £1800 - what would you think is a fair price to ask for it? It's in brand new condition with the exception of a bit of rubbing at the side of the pedal arm from my shoe sometimes rubbing against while I'm pedalling. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s the current retail price? Any on eBay? Or recently sold?
Tbh you’ll probably be lucky to get £1400. Not a great time of year to be sellng expensive roadbikes

Top Bottom