Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I feel a bit silly.

I recently bought a Bianchi Intenso Potenza (a bike I've always wanted). The first shop I went to recommended a 50 frame (he says I'm between 50 and 53) but he didn't have a 50 frame in stock; he only had a 53 frame. The second shop said the same and also only had a 53 frame in stock. Anyway I took the 53 frame bike out for a spin and it did feel lovely to ride. When I stand over the frame it does feel big and my "bits" touch the frame; my "bits" also touch the frame on my 51 BMC. I ended up buying the 53 frame Bianchi and I do feel comfortable riding it. Have I made a mistake buying this bike in a 53 frame? I'm 5'6 in height.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. J xx

vickster

Legendary Member
53 sounds big if you’re 5’6 assuming that’s the top tube or seat post. Do you have very short legs hence the standiver issue but the bike being ok for reach.

Go try a 50. It’s not so possible to make a too big bike smaller as a smaller frame bigger

Too big bikes can be bad news for joints

U

User6179

As long as you are not crushing your bits and the reach is OK then I wouldn't worry, I have short legs and long torso so on 3 of my 4 bikes my bits rest on the top tube.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah I missed that he's already bought it. It's pretty unlikely you'll need to jump off in a hurry. Might be just a bit eye watering if you do

If it feels comfortable it's probably ok.
Maybe you need to learn to "tuck" :whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The geometry states 535 virtual top tube top tube fora 53 .
I am 5 foot 7 " and both my road bikes have a 540 mm top tube with different stem lengths ( 90 and 110 ) based on the different reach on the bars .

Apart from what you have stated does the bike fit ?

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
What's your current bike size? How does the geometry compare?

My Giant road bike is 47.5 and my BMC is 51

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Its too big, but as you've bought it now you have two options really, get on with it or sell it.
If you have to jump off in a hurry you may hurt yourself.
Why did you buy it when all the advice tells you to have a bit of clearance?

Because I made a mistake and let my heart rule my head and when I took the bike for a test ride - it felt ok

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Do I have any recourse with the bike shop? Surely they have a duty of care to not sell a customer a bike that is too big?

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
The geometry states 535 virtual top tube top tube fora 53 .
I am 5 foot 7 " and both my road bikes have a 540 mm top tube with different stem lengths ( 90 and 110 ) based on the different reach on the bars .

Apart from what you have stated does the bike fit ?

Yes the bike feels comfortable and nice to ride

Top Bottom