Frame sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozzie770

I have a couple of bikes now, but don't quite feel comfortable on either.. the first one a Raleigh Esquire with 26" wheels is fine seat height ( it's at the bottom) but the front seems too low with the type of handle bars on them. The other one is a old German Hercules with 28" wheels, this one was too big at the seat point but ideal at the handle bar height ( like bull horns ), I have put some 26" wheels on it and it's almost perfect, though I have got to sort the brakes out to now fit it..

I really want an older bike that is going to be the right size without too much modification, any suggestions? I am 5ft 8" but like to ride in an upright position with arms about 90 degrees forward, not bent down.

Where are the frames measured from? I.e. An 21" frame , is it measured from the top cross bar down to the centre crank, or do some mean from the top down to the floor including the wheels..

It used to be measured from from the top of the tube of the frame in which the seat post sits to the centre of the crank axle line. There will be a bit of variance due to angles and the way manufactures finish the tops of the frame.

OP
OP
Ozzie770

Ozzie770

It used to be measured from from the top of the tube of the frame in which the seat post sits to the centre of the crank axle line. There will be a bit of variance due to angles and the way manufactures finish the tops of the frame.
That's what I thought , just that looking on eBay and the like, some people seem to be giving sizes from the top to the floor but saying frame, so it gets a bit misleading.

OP
OP
Ozzie770

Ozzie770

What type of handlebars have you got and prefer? Are they straight, go across the frame or do they curl back towards you at the grip end?
Prefer them wide with a curl back, think they used to call them cruiser type.. (many many years ago when I used to be very much into my bikes )

I would have thought that the frame size is about right, but we all different in body type, some with long legs in relation to body and vice versa.

My wife has problems finding the ideal bike, a saddle low enough to allow her to plant both feet on the ground yet tall enough so that her knees down hit her chin or elbows whilst riding. Fitting a shorter arm crank sorted that problem.

I would have thought that where you live you might be able to find a cycle recycling place ( sorry couldn't think what it was called.) Where you might be able to try a large selection of cycles to see what fits and go from there. It might give you an indication of what to aim for.

brucers

Guru
Haha, yes. Works better with older bikes as they tend to be a more standard geometry.

Venod

Eh up
It used to be measured from from the top of the tube of the frame in which the seat post sits to the centre of the crank axle line

I remember it being always C to C as most frames had horizontal top tubes, I think some manufactures still measure that way, C to T makes more sense with the different style frames available nowadays, I find the top tube length an important measurement too.

I remember it being always C to C as most frames had horizontal top tubes, I think some manufactures still measure that way, C to T makes more sense with the different style frames available nowadays, I find the top tube length an important measurement too.
I just find that they are a rough guide for sizing. Most of the TdF riders look like they have kept theirs from when they were kids. They've just invested in longer seat posts.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I just find that they are a rough guide for sizing. Most of the TdF riders look like they have kept theirs from when they were kids. They've just invested in longer seat posts.
Yeah what is the thinking behind that, is it just a weight question or is there some fancy geometry going on. I recon if I can reach the pedals and bars when sitting on the seat its a fit :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As a rule of thumb when seated your leg should be straight with the pedal in the six o clock position. Some years ago the university of Nottingham I think it was did some tests with pro riders to find the most efficient seat height for power delivery. They came up with 106% of inside leg measurement so the leg was slightly stretched.
The handlebar reach can be adjusted to your taste.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzie770

Ozzie770

with the Esquire its spot on with the seat right at the bottom, (get get both feet flat on the floor) its the handle bars that make me feel uncomfortable, i have to lean forward to much for my taste, and they are to the limit of the height. floor to the grips is 39". Where as the Hercules is a bit too much on the seat height (just the toes touching the floor), yet the floor to the grips is 44" which I feel more than comfotable with...

Top Bottom