Frame & Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayaker

Regular
Hello
Been given a Raleigh Team Europa frame not sure of the size or if suitable.
Put the tape across it, Seat tube from centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube frame is 22.5"
Top tube from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube is 23" or tube from between seat tube and headtube is 21"

It is just frame, brakes and rear mech, so when wheels and cranks on not sure if would be too big, I am 5'7, i currently ride a small 53cm giant cross bike.

Thanks in advance

Brommyboy

Über Member
Ideally you should have a 21.5" frame. This one is just slightly large for you. If you put a short reach stem for the bars and have your saddle really low, it may be comfortable. I would also consider cranks at 165 mm, but not more than 170 mm.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would try and get hold of some wheels, handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle etc. and see how it is. Pointless worrying about things like crank length at this stage. All frames are different... Although if I was a gambling man, I'd say it will be too big. Could be workable, assuming you are able to stand over the top tube without fouling your gonads!

OP
OP
kayaker

kayaker

Regular
Thanks for replies, tried putting wheels off other bike (cyclocross) and the frame/forks too narrow. A question, do older bikes (road bikes) have smaller diameter wheels (are 27" different to 700c) as it looked even if i get the wheel in it looks they may hit the frame.
Cheers

Garz

Squat Member
I think it could be made to fit you but at your height you are definitely pushing it out to the extreme of your range.

On the other hand I am only 5'6" and on a proper bike fit I made the medium/56cm grade as I have a long torso which compared to the standard stumpy fella is quite unusual, so it does pay to get measured properly when your starting out.

OP
OP
kayaker

kayaker

Regular
I am longer in the body, will put some wheels on it and if too big then my taller brother can have it, I was measured for my other bike but this was given to me by a friend as a gift, so can use it to practice bike repair.

I am 5'8 and recently bought a claud butler chinook 59 cm which I think is xl. I thought it would be too big but boy is it comfortable too too ride. Only notice the size when I go too put a foot down I have too lean a bit
My road bike is 54 I think

OP
OP
kayaker

kayaker

Regular
Frame sizing is other than being measured a learning curve of lots of suck it and see, or so it seems. Beginners mind.

Top Bottom