Frame sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom87

I've been cycling for a couple of years now, just leisurely with a couple of big rides a year (big for me, 60 miles). I've been doing this on a Dawes Giro 200, the flat bar bike but now I want to get a proper road bike, as from experience, I know it makes a difference.

Anyway I'm on a budget and have found a nice bike on wiggle (and a few other webistes). Problem is it's going for a good price because it's last years stock and only in 50cm frame (measuring from top seat-thingy, not middle of top-tube).

I have 28" leg and am 5' 6" and am wondering if it's worth a gamble (I can send it back but it'd be quite a bit of hassle and you're not allowed to ride it). It's only 2cm smaller than my current bike, so with racing geometry, would that be a bad thing?

Sorry for the long winded message.

Hello Tom, can you get to a local bike shop etc to try frames of an equivalent size, and possibly geometry? Only you will know the feel and it would be a waste for you to be 'making do'. A second hand eBay buy might do you for a start and possibly cost less. No substitute for sitting on and feeling, particularly as it's your first road bike.
(Expert guidance will be along shortly...:biggrin: )

Enjoy the forum, good luck with the bike.

OP
OP
T

Tom87

Thanks for the help guys.

I did the competitive fit calculator and came out at a 50cm frame, so that's perfect. And I got an email from the guy saying that I am allowed to test-ride the bike, so I probably will go ahead and order it.

Re ebay; I've been looking on there for ages and although I agree buying second hand for most things is good, I think it's a bad idea for bikes. Not to mention a lot of people require pick up only and barely anyone is flogging a bike with a frame as small as I need.

OP
OP
T

Tom87

It's a Focus.

I've ridden bikes bigger, but not comfortably, or for long distances. For commuting (and riding) I ride a Dawes Giro 200 that is maybe slightly bigger than the focus or possibly the same size. I also ride my dads old Dawes racing bike for commuting, which I think is a 52, but that's slightly too big, but not too bad for what I use it for.

It might be ever so slightly too small, but not as much as I thought now that I used that (quite exhaustive) calculator.

Top Bottom