1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame sizing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tom87, 11 Mar 2008.

1. Tom87

Tom87 New Member

I've been cycling for a couple of years now, just leisurely with a couple of big rides a year (big for me, 60 miles). I've been doing this on a Dawes Giro 200, the flat bar bike but now I want to get a proper road bike, as from experience, I know it makes a difference.

Anyway I'm on a budget and have found a nice bike on wiggle (and a few other webistes). Problem is it's going for a good price because it's last years stock and only in 50cm frame (measuring from top seat-thingy, not middle of top-tube).

I have 28" leg and am 5' 6" and am wondering if it's worth a gamble (I can send it back but it'd be quite a bit of hassle and you're not allowed to ride it). It's only 2cm smaller than my current bike, so with racing geometry, would that be a bad thing?

Sorry for the long winded message.

2. Hello Tom, can you get to a local bike shop etc to try frames of an equivalent size, and possibly geometry? Only you will know the feel and it would be a waste for you to be 'making do'. A second hand eBay buy might do you for a start and possibly cost less. No substitute for sitting on and feeling, particularly as it's your first road bike.
    (Expert guidance will be along shortly...:biggrin: )

Enjoy the forum, good luck with the bike.

3. oxbob

oxbob New Member

4. Tom87

Tom87 New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I did the competitive fit calculator and came out at a 50cm frame, so that's perfect. And I got an email from the guy saying that I am allowed to test-ride the bike, so I probably will go ahead and order it.

Re ebay; I've been looking on there for ages and although I agree buying second hand for most things is good, I think it's a bad idea for bikes. Not to mention a lot of people require pick up only and barely anyone is flogging a bike with a frame as small as I need.

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

What make is it Tom? I'm 5'7" and fit 52cm Specialized but a 54cm Trek!

6. Tom87

Tom87 New Member

It's a Focus.

I've ridden bikes bigger, but not comfortably, or for long distances. For commuting (and riding) I ride a Dawes Giro 200 that is maybe slightly bigger than the focus or possibly the same size. I also ride my dads old Dawes racing bike for commuting, which I think is a 52, but that's slightly too big, but not too bad for what I use it for.

It might be ever so slightly too small, but not as much as I thought now that I used that (quite exhaustive) calculator.