Frame stiffness article .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like what they say about tread patterns on tyres. The amount of breath I’ve wasted trying to explain what they have there, to people, is imense. It’s good to see someone else ‘getting it’.

[QUOTE 5179093, member: 45"]That "myth buster" is an advert for Compass tyres. Whoever they might be. They don't argue what you argue about tyre tread, nor do they speak facts. For example there's no statement on the sweet spot for their claimed "interlocking".[/QUOTE]
Tedious.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
gcn did an article where they looked how frame flex put power back as the pedal was unloaded.

I saw that a couple of weeks ago and it sort of answered the question I'd asked myself when I saw stiffness as a selling point a little too often: you put watts into the bike, where else can they go? Immediacy is what you lose, not power.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I saw that a couple of weeks ago and it sort of answered the question I'd asked myself when I saw stiffness as a selling point a little too often: you put watts into the bike, where else can they go? Immediacy is what you lose, not power.
Without watching the video (baby is asleep) I can't comment on the specifics, but I don't see why in principle it can't be lost in friction/heat/etc. If you push your bike pedal and part of that force goes to bending the rear triangle instead of turning the rear wheel, then the frame flexes back again when your pedal force relaxes, how does the release of that stored energy translate into forward motion? Having your rear wheel going in any direction other that straight ahead doesn't seem like it is going to help

What did GCN say?

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
If you’ve ridden a bike(s) for more than ten years (not continuously I hasten to add), you’ll know that frame material/compliance/stiffness (whether laterally, vertically, horizontally or three dimentially) makes feck all difference to how fast you ride in the real world.

I had a Pace frame for a bit - with the square tubing, which was harsh as fark in the saddle. It didn't feel like it had any compliance at all. It was like cast iron. But because the square tubing had limited torsional rigidity compared to a round tubed bike, the bottom bracket used to swing about like a hammock. I'm not fast but I am heavy and when I stood on the pedals I'd have to compensate at the bars because the back wheel would actually change direction! Did it go any slower as a consequence? I do not know.

OP
OP
H

Huggis

I did some further research into this. RoadBIKE.de have tests where they measure frame stiffness at various points on the frame. My 2006 Roubaix is about 20% less stiff (88N/mm) at the B.B. than my current 'Good’ bike (105N/mm) yet feels like the power transfer is better.

A podcast on cycling tips had the top engineer from Cannondale saying the 'sweet spot' for most riders would be 60 N/mm.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/cyclingtips-podcast/id1117221239?mt=2&i=1000385901611

Top Bottom