France coast to coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, I posted a while back some info about our coast to coast trip through France next year. A lot of people said that they were interested but 3weeks for the trip was going to be long for them to get off work. Fair enough. Some friends said that they were happy to do a week of the trip which would take them down to Blois in the Loire. Is there anyone else who would be interested in doing this? Van supported, camping each night, starting Saturday 2nd July 2016. For two weeks that would take you down to Royat next to Clermont-Ferrand with a mixture of hotels an camping. Of course, if you wanted to do the full 3weeks, that is great!

The trip coincides with Le Tour and for the first 3stages we cross paths with it. When the full route is released it could be more!

france-route.jpg

jay clock

Massive member
best of luck. I am always intersted in touring but no way can I plan ahead, and I am also not keen on the van support. And 3 weeks is too long for me, as I would take about 2 weeks for that. Pity, as a while since I had a tour.....

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks.
Like i said, there is the week or two week which gets you a portion through France. I love van supported as for me it is more about you and the bike, enjoying the feeling of it on the road, the excitement etc. I guess a lot of proper touring people like yourself, prefer to carry their own gear and have it as more of a challenge to complete. I found it great that the bags were there at the end of the day, no lugging them around all day, trying to change punctures etc. It is nice that so many people like to tour no matter how they like to go about doing it. The adventure of exploring new places, seeing new sites, eating local dishes etc, just the best!

I found I've got to plan because of work and life commitments, i need a goal too, something to look forward to and plan. My route could be changed and made in to a two week or even a 1week trip, but I didn't see the point in rushing through France at breakneck speed doing over 100miles a day and not being able to stop and enjoy the local districts, cities, towns and villages.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
We don't actually get to Tours, but around the north and south of the river around Blois and the chateaus. We have never been there and wanted to see the area. One can't go to the Loire and not see lots of chateaus, a bit like going to Normandy and not seeing the D-Day beaches, nor Provence without going up Ventoux and through the lavender fields :smile:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
We don't actually get to Tours, but around the north and south of the river around Blois and the chateaus. We have never been there and wanted to see the area. One can't go to the Loire and not see lots of chateaus, a bit like going to Normandy and not seeing the D-Day beaches, nor Provence without going up Ventoux and through the lavender fields :smile:
I can happily admire Ventoux from afar, usually my sitting room every other year:whistle:

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I can happily admire Ventoux from afar, usually my sitting room every other year:whistle:
haha yes it does look kinda big and high. driven past it and watched Le Tour from one of the villages just next to it. Good thing with teh route is that if the weather or laziness kicks in, we can still go around the base of it :smile:

Top Bottom