France Coast to Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Higgin

Doing a France Coast to Coast later this year - St Malo to Sete (pres de Montpellier!). Anyone done it? Any advice gratefully received - routes - getting back to st malo - accommodation (not camping!). Cheers!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A friend of mine did that route with an organised CTC ride last year. If you're interested I could get the pdf route from him.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I agree...Montpellier is a nightmare for cyclists..avoid if you can. Also the campsites there are a total ripp off and patrolled by security thugs on golf carts...yuck.

Ergle

Über Member
I went from Bayonne to Narbonne a couple of years ago at the end of August. I took a tent in case hotels were full - but didn't need it. Plenty of good hotels for 30 to 50 Euros to be found. Every town of any size has a tourist bureau who will help you to find accommodation. More info in my sig below

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ergle said:
I went from Bayonne to Narbonne a couple of years ago at the end of August. I took a tent in case hotels were full - but didn't need it. Plenty of good hotels for 30 to 50 Euros to be found. Every town of any size has a tourist bureau who will help you to find accommodation. More info in my sig below

I think he's doing north to south!

loz

Veteran
i've been wanting to do a similar route! Was planning on camping though. I haven't made any firm plans, initially thought about staying fairly close to the west coast but have since decided that it may be more picturesque to go more centrally.

Looking forward to hearing from some other experienced tourers for their advice (this would be my first tour, going solo too)

loz

Fietslogies

Accomodation in France

About cyclist friendly accomodation in France. 'Vrienden op de Fiets' has some 60 hosts over there. Maybe partly useful? http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl

Map with villages and cities in France with available hosts of 'Vrienden op de Fiets' in 2010 The blue pointers on the map do only refer to the village or the city of a host. They don't show the exact location of the accomodation.

frank9755

Cyclist
I just got back yesterday!

I did Dieppe to Grau-du-Roi (near Montpellier). Took me 10 days and was a wonderful ride.

I've found Montpellier to be fine, but I've only ever cycled into it from the south, so it may be tricky from the north.

My approach was light on planning. I only decided to go two days beforehand, made a list of a dozen or so places as the outline of my route, and tore out pages from a road atlas to link them up. I then planned the detailed route for the following day each evening.

This worked fine as virtually every town where I needed there to be a campsite had one. Only on one evening did I have a problem with a couple of sites being closed, which led to an extra hour of riding. The site at Grande Motte (on the coast by Montpellier) was more expensive than the others (€15 as opposed to €3-8 elsewhere) but was clean and quiet, with no golf buggy patrols! If I were staying in hotels, I'd adopt a similar approach - just knock on the door of one I fancied when I was ready to stop.

Happy to give more details if useful.

shirazlover

Arrive St Malo 9th August,

Hello all,what a find great site. Hoping i might get some advice, intending to cycle around the coast of Brittany, will be camping, so looking at purchasing a trailer rather than panniers, any advice greatly recieved, also any places to stay etc. I am a social cyclist, in fact will be fiist time on bike for a while.

Regards Alan

paulrw

Did that route 2 years ago. StMalo to west coast over bridge at St Nazaire,down to Les Sables D'olonne,La rochelle. Ferry over the Garonne estuary,Bordeaux, then followed the Garonne river/canal to canal du midi. Very nice. I camped but if you research it ,there will be loads of accom.alternatives I'm sure. Some good paths and a couple of dodgy stretches on the midi,but always an alternative on road. Enjoy

Top Bottom