Frank Bough Of Grandstand fame passes away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The weird thing is that i thought about him earlier tonight before i heard of his death on the 10pm news. It's a bit embarrassing but i broke wind and thought of the slang word for breaking wind when we were children which was boff. I then wondered if he was still alive and thought maybe not,i'm sure he died about 12 years ago. Then low and behold i heard of his death about 2 hours later.

Anyway,R.I.P Frank.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
One of our best sports reporters who was turned on because of what he got up to with other consenting adults.

RIP

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Indeed. What he did in his own time was his business if it wasn't hurting anyone else. R.I.P. Frank.

To get caught once is unfortunate, but twice is exceedingly stupid.

There was also illegal drugs involved, so his actions went beyond being unable to keep his willy in his Y fronts.

Shame, because in other respects he enjoyed national treasure status with the public, as the BBC's bigger beasts did at the time.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Indeed. What he did in his own time was his business if it wasn't hurting anyone else. R.I.P. Frank.
In the 80s and 90s that was never going to wash. Especially once the tabloids get stuck in.
He was a fixture on TV in my childhood and always seemed very straight laced. Sadly my overriding memory of him was tarnished by his fall from grace with drugs and hookers.

Maybe my memory is faulty but was there shock horror probe some bdsm play of some sort which appalled folk? If so all pretty rum in today's post shades world. Maybe his big mistake was not to borrow the grandstand helicopter.
I never actually read the stories, think the tabloids largely scum, but always thought the reaction one of often hypocritical prudery.
RIP Frank.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
often hypocritical prudery.
Salacious hypocritical prudery at that. RIP Frank, you bad, bad boy. :smile:

Salacious hypocritical prudery at that. RIP Frank, you bad, bad boy. :smile:
yep - salaciousness is usually not far under the surface. The News of the World traded on that toxic concoction for decades.There's a common word which escapes me which I long took to be essentially a celebration of things sexual but which in fact I think has undertones of that awful sort of prudery which is slavering and rubbing itself up* under the pulpit as it condemns.
* had to use three words here instead of a single simple anglo-saxon word because of the cchat prude robot,

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If I was caught dabbling in illegal drugs I would be sacked.

Bough was caught doing it twice, and while the BBC eventually declined to use him, he did get some work elsewhere.

All of his difficulties were entirely of his own making.

Let's not shoot the messenger here.

Also worth remembering drug use wrecks communities - no users, no dealers.

Just because Bough lived in a detached Thameside house in leafy Berkshire doesn't make his use any more socially acceptable than an addict in a tower block.

Drago

Legendary Member
To get caught once is unfortunate, but twice is exceedingly stupid.

There was also illegal drugs involved, so his actions went beyond being unable to keep his willy in his Y fronts.

Shame, because in other respects he enjoyed national treasure status with the public, as the BBC's bigger beasts did at the time.
He was never charged or convicted with anything unlawful. Trial by tabloid. At worst he did no one any harm.

Top Bottom