Freddie the seal attacked by savage dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
We have an extendable lead too, 90% of the time it's used as a normal length lead but handy to have for the other 10%.

As for recall I've found the earlier you let your puppy off lead the better (they naturally come back).

Our youngest Lab has excellent recall as she was off lead very early, our older Lab's is reasonably but she can have selective hearing..

As said by many, if there's lots of wildlife, or sheep ect about our two would be on leads.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The extension leads make it hard to train dogs as well. A number of years ago i almost mowed down a scottie dog in my car that was on a path, then suddenly darted out into the road, i slammed the anchors on and stopped in time. That was on an extendable lead... Professional dog trainers don't recommend them either. Here's why:

https://unleashedpawtential.co.uk/why-dog-trainers-never-recommend-retractable-leashes-flexi-leads/

I don't think they are under control on those leads. Maybe confined to an area but in that area they aren't under control.

I do love dogs. Ive always let them roam freely around my house and garden. It requires extra vacuuming sure but they love that comfort. Dogs roaming uncontrolled around fields and parks no. It isn't worth it from a legal stand point and there are moral arguments for it too. It frustrates me that like your friend, they get the hump when you tell them to move their dogs away. They don't own that field or park!
I've been thinking (again) about how badly behaved dogs seem to be these days. I'm going to put it down to these very expensive 'must have' breeds we see now. I watched a tv program quite a few years ago where they said that all Pug dogs in Britain came from a brother and sister mating many years ago. I rarely see mongrels these days. Years ago most dogs around here were mongrels. Now it's all 'designer dogs' and quite often in pairs. I talk to these dog owners and they tell me about operations and medications costing hundreds (some thousands) of pounds after vet visits.:ohmy:

Photo' number 1 is of the thing that likes to jump up at me. I actually hate that dog. Notice how i'd put my dog on the wall to keep him away from the hyperactive inbred one.
1617537418943.png

Compare the hyperactive idiot to the dog below. She's a rescue dog from Spain. She was found in a black bin bag,put there by the evil owner(s). She's a mongrel and so well behaved and enjoying her life.

1617537685926.png

Below are 3 over a grand each annoying dogs. They 'hunt' in a pack,not necessarily physically attacking other dogs,more surrounding them and intimidating them. To be fair,they have rounded on the hyperactive idiot in photo' 1,so i don't mind them.:okay:

1617537856342.png

The Jack Russell type mongrel in the top of the above photo' is also very well behaved. He wanders over to be patted and maybe beg for a treat,but that's it. No hyperactive idiot antics from him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom