Freddie the seal attacked by savage dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This is so upsetting! Some scumbag has let their horrible dog attack a seal on the banks of the river Thames.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ie-Mercury-savaged-dog-terrifying-attack.html
The young seal was severely injured and the vets said the only option was to euthanise the seal. The other week an out of control dog attacked a peacock on a 'small animals farm' around here. The peacock was operated on but didn't survive the operation. There's also been quite a few cases of dogs mauling sheep around here as well. One farmer put pictures on a local Facebook page of his dead and badly injured sheep. When i go to the local park i see dogs running riot,while their owners are hundreds of yards away.

Are you getting sick of out of control,off the lead dogs!

Absolutely tragic. Ffs people have your dogs on leads around wildlife.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
As a dog owner all my life all I can say is dogs should be on leads. Not everybody likes dogs and even an excitable, tame and playful dog can still send an elderly person or child flying. In this instance we see again why they should be on leads. I hope the owners suffer consequences...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a Jack Russell. Like all Jack Russells she will chase most anything and so she is usually on a long lead. In the woods there is a very large dog enclosure where she can run free. The amount of times that dogs come bounding up to us on walks and the owners shout " Its OK they are friendly" and I shout back "Mine is on a lead because she is not friendly". You can see panic sets in. Quite often the stupidity of the dog matches the stupidity of the owner. In honesty, Frida is the friendliest dog you will meet, but I am not telling them that.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Don’t see the point of having a dog if they have to be on a lead the entire time as it’s great to see them run free.....but only if they are well trained with excellent recall. I agree they should be put back on a lead around livestock and vulnerable wildlife though and also if approaching another dog which is on a lead.

Leads change very little when the dog is that way intended and it's owner is a numpty, wouldn't be surprised if the owner in that case encouraged the dog to "play" with the seal:angry:

Sadly i can only think this sort of thing will only increase with the recent surge in first time dog owners. I'm sure 99.99% will be good owners but the numpty % just went up a bit with the lock-down puppy buying spree.

On a lead or not the owner should be prosecuted and made to pay all expenses for the above terrible incident.

About 6wks back a couple crossing a road quite a way in front of me had a Collie and an Akita, having trained dogs most of my life i was very aware that the Akita was way too interested in this moving object approaching them (the owners were both on their phones), by now the owners and their dogs (both on leads) were starting to walk into a field, Mr Akita still couldn't take his eyes of me as i approached, at the point when i passed them (i was about 30-40m away) the Akita swung round, pulled it's owner over (still on the phone) and the lead snapped, 40kgs of Japanese guard dog then started to rapidly accelerate towards me but fortunately i found my inner Hoy :bicycle: and i was dust on the road, the dog tried to keep up for about 300m then wondered off down a lane. I thought about going back to make sure it didn't get run over but realised i may become breakfast and had to hope it all worked out for the dog and the owner.

Drago

Legendary Member
That boils my pith on so many levels. Like anything else in life, as a respinsible dog owner/cyclist/cra driver/devil worshiper I am crestfallen when some chump makes us all look bad.

Its also disgraceful that the Mail should print pictures of an animal, in the act of being attacked, in obvious pain and distress, purely for the gratification of the onanists that 'read' their tome.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
They should be muzzled as well. I regularly come across a growling, snarling dog on my cycle, as I pass it goes crazy and it's owner hangs on for dear life. I am always on the look out for it in case I have to dismount and use my bike for protection.

If a dog is trained properly, you should never need to muzzle it. I had an Alsatian and I never once muzzled it, no need to. There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

My aged father-in-law died as a result of an uncontrolled dog, on a 30 metre lead, that wrapped itself around him, causing him to fall and knock himself unconscious.
His life-support machine was switched off 14 days later as he had been declared ’brain dead’.
Dog owners should be held accountable for their negligence and any damage/harm their dogs cause.

Glyno

I'm beginning to suspect these attacks (which seem to be on the increase, particularly on sheep in rural areas) aren't entirely accidents. I wouldn't put it past some of the despicable scumbags to have found a new hobby, seeing as lockdown has meant less elderly people on the streets to mug.

Top Bottom