Freddie the seal attacked by savage dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I read the title as - attacked by a sausage dog. 😂

My first thought was, 'what did it do, dive in and pretend to be a torpedo?'

There are children and even adults that get anxious and panic at the sight of an unleashed dog no matter how friendly it is. Its basically fear that these souls could not overcome. These people avoid parks.

Then you have the tone-deaf dog owner that catches up with his dog and repeatedly tells the visibly distressed person how friendly the dog is. Not an apology or an attempt to console the person.

All it takes is a short leash.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd welcome a license/permit type arrangement too. But it all goes back to if/how it would be policed. Perhaps far tougher outcomes for any unlicensed owner who's dog is involved in an incident. But by then it's often too late. I know at least 5 people (adults) who are either petrified of dogs due to being chased or attacked, or have had dogs attacked or killed by other dogs, or in my case had children chased by unleashed dogs who in the owner's words "are friendly, just a bit excited". Motor vehicles, guns etc are capable of killing things so you need a license, so dogs should be the same (whether it's a Chihuahua or a pit bull). Such a shame for the dogs, as it's the owners who are to blame most of the time.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Owners who are incapable of controlling their dogs annoy me. It isn't difficult to train them, just takes time and lots of treats to bribe them.- it's the owners of all these yapping small/toy/lap dogs who seem to be the worst offenders.

Sadly some dogs are immune to training though- my uncle used to take ex-police dogs on his remote farm who'd failed their final training. They were friendly and obedient enough to commands- some of them failed because they were too docile during restraint exercises but he had two that were unpredictably vicious and had to be carefully handled. They once came home to find two lads, who'd tried to burgle them, trapped in a storeroom with the 2 dogs 'on guard' outside the door. One had to be put down immediately after it ran off and attacked stock on his own farm. [Edit; one of the dogs, not the youths].

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The press has photo's of the owner.

Wanted Dead Or Alive :gun:

1616517776330.png

The killer looks like a Patterdale Terrier. If you see either the dog or the owner do not approach them!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To all those calling for muzzles, compulsory leads, licencing and lord knows what else might car to reflect on the comparison to the Daily Heil readers who call for all sortsnof compulsory training, licensing, insurance that cyclists should have each time one of our number jump a red light

I have never even owned a dog, but any clamp down will be at the expense of law abiding sensible owners of perfectly OK dogs, as the owners of nasty uncontrolled dogs will continue to not give a fark. Happy dogs running free in the park are overall "a good thing" and even when no especially obedient are rarely more than a mild nuisance.

All that said, can anyone explain why dog owners are supposed to hang bags of dog pooh in trees?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd welcome a license/permit type arrangement too.
Why? It doesn't stop car drivers from breaking the law.

The only difference would be that irresponsible dog owners would now have a dog licence, but they would still be irresponsbile dog owners.

You may recall that dog licences were a thing once, and were abolished because they contributed nothing to responsible dog ownership.

VelvetUnderpants

Ãœber Member
I have noticed this breed of dog (Presa Canario) has become popular recently. I keep a safe distance of the two owners and their dogs when running in my local park and when I cannot do that I simply stop and wait for them to pass. I am not taking any chances.

Saying that, I do think some breeds get a bad press because they look similar to dangerous breeds and tend to attract tw*ts, for example Staffies are a wonderful breed, but sometimes attract idiots and have been mistakenly identified as pit bulls. My grandparents had staffies and Jack Russells and it was the Jack Russell I was always cautious around.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
To all those calling for muzzles, compulsory leads, licencing and lord knows what else might car to reflect on the comparison to the gammon faced Daily Heil readers who call for all sortsnof compulsory training, licensing, insurance that cyclists should have each time one of our number jump a red light

I have never even owned a dog, but any clamp down will be at the expense of law abiding sensible owners of perfectly OK dogs, as the owners of nasty uncontrolled dogs will continue to not give a fark. Happy dogs running free in the park are overall "a good thing" and even when no especially obedient are rarely more than a mild nuisance.

All that said, can anyone explain why dog owners are supposed to hang bags of dog pooh in trees?
Despite having owned dogs all my life, as a child i was mauled by a German Shepherd. It bit into my side so hard it cracked a rib. The owner claimed it had never been aggressive before. I simply walked passed after visiting a mate. Despite this, i love and respect dogs. But i know full well the implications of a dogs tendency "act out of character" as often they are put by their owners. They can dart out into the road, they can run off, they can kill cats, ducks, rabbits anything that triggers it. If you're so sure that your dog (i know you dont have one) is never going to harm anybody or anything in any way, sure, you're liable for its actions ultimately. As for me, my dogs will always be on leads. It can run freely in my large garden to its hearts content...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, I'd have been in between my dog and anything else ASAP - we've never let our dogs off that don't have recall (had cats since I left my parents). Sister and BIL did everything with their lab to be able to let him off the lead, training etc, they can't, he's just a daft lab - lovely dog but they can't trust him. No recall.

Drago

Legendary Member
Despite having owned dogs all my life, as a child i was mauled by a German Shepherd. It bit into my side so hard it cracked a rib. The owner claimed it had never been aggressive before. I simply walked passed after visiting a mate. Despite this, i love and respect dogs. But i know full well the implications of a dogs tendency "act out of character" as often they are put by their owners. They can dart out into the road, they can run off, they can kill cats, ducks, rabbits anything that triggers it. If you're so sure that your dog (i know you dont have one) is never going to harm anybody or anything in any way, sure, you're liable for its actions ultimately. As for me, my dogs will always be on leads. It can run freely in my large garden to its hearts content...
I can't abide this "out of character" excuse in either dogs or humans. If it were genuinely out of character they wouldn't have done it at all, yet courts swallow such patent rubbish.

Top Bottom