Free Bike !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've got a lot out of this forum, so it'd be nice to give something back :smile:

I can't contribute any knowledge, as I know bugger all myself.

So, does anyone want my old commuter?

Its a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid, about 15 Years old, 5 speed, steel and very heavy.

Its in pretty good nick but the rear wheel has some rust and I'm sure it would benefit from a good service.

It has a brand new Kenda Iron-cap tyre on the back but it needs a new front as the old one perished, then blew out on me.
Also has new brake pads all round.

its old and heavy, but solid and reliable. Its done my commute (38mile round trip and 200m climb) a few times now without problem.

The only reason I'm getting rid of it is the high gearing doesn't allow me to get a fast cadence going which is something I need to practice as a newb.
And, with the arrival of my new road bike, the Wife keeps muttering about the growing bike collection ;)

It'd have to be collection only, location under my avater (which isn't a pic of me, I'm a hairy arsed bloke so you're out of luck there :laugh:.)

If all goes well, there should be a piccy underneath.

Oh, I reserve the right not to donate it to you, I would like this to go to a good home and not just get snapped up to stick on ebay. Thats of course if anyone did want it ;)

Ericsandtetleys023-1.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yay! One of these is my other bike (a rather lary purple one, with a few more gears, and straighter bars - Pioneer Elite, I think). As Panter says, they're nice, solid and reliable, albeit not the most exciting bikes in the world.

It's very generous indeed to give yours away Panter, good on you.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks John ;)

Forgot to mention, its quite a big frame. I'm 5' 11 ish, and the seats pretty low as you can see.

Although I do have quite dumpy legs for my size. ;)

Canrider

Guru
Can't possible collect, so can't take it, but for the single-speed/fixed crowd: Can you confirm it has horizontal dropouts (looks like it on the pic), and do you know what steel the frame is made of?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Canrider said:
Can't possible collect, so can't take it, but for the single-speed/fixed crowd: Can you confirm it has horizontal dropouts (looks like it on the pic), and do you know what steel the frame is made of?

I had no idea what a horizontal drop-out was, but I've just googled it.
I believe it does, I can't quite remember what it looked like, but it certainly doesn't look like the pictures of vertical drop-outs I found.

Sorry, I've no idea what steel its made from. I'll check the label when I get home and see if it says.
I'm only assuming its steel because of its age and weight.

Number14

Veteran
You'd better let him have the bbq for your own safety. That grass is a bit long and could present a significant fire risk if youl light the barbie.:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
If you are really serious about giving it away, try here. It's better than just throwing stuff away, especially if it's still usable but surplus to requirements.

Without being nasty, most of the stuff we have got rid of goes to "charity" cases", i.e. people at the bottom of the pile (not that I'm much further up than that !!)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Elmer, thats where it came from originally TBH :rolleyes:

I think it may have to end up on there, I'm just wary of the ebay merchants making a quick buck.
I wouldn't mind if I hadn't put a new tyre on, maybe I need to just let it go :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Got my eye on the purple bike behind. Now that does look cool. Quite fancy commuting to work on that.:biggrin:

You can jest but I reckon an adult sized scooter would be good fun. I've had my eye on it too :sad:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Final bump, its been on Freecycle ever since and I've been let down 4 times now.

Its back on there now and if no-one on there or here wants it by the Weekend, I'll have to dump it as its now sitting outside and its just going to rot anyway :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
You have not got location by your avatar. Have you tried entering "Recycling bicycles" on a internet search? Then look for the organisation in your county.

Here in Worcester we have an organisation that takes unwanted bikes, saves them from landfill. They are then refurbished (if necessary) and sold at low prices to the public. Teenage lads are taught bicycle maintenance and they also produce all sorts of things from bikes' spares etc.

You can see Motov8 at www.motov8.org.uk. Or there are lots of similar set-ups in various counties across the country. I think it is worth a try.
Send me a pm if you need any help on this.

Top Bottom