*FREE HILL CLIMBING BOOST*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Yup, huge performance boost, free of charge.

Just add darkness :smile:

I'm very lucky on my commute, I even posted some pictures recently of how nice it was as my route weaves it's way over the North Downs on desolate country lanes.

However, they're a very different animal come nightfall.

I woke up at 3:00am and try as I might, I couldn't get back to sleep.
So, around 4:30 I got up and got my bits together to ride to work.

My whole commute generally heads gently upwards on the way in but there are a few short, sharpish climbs.
There's one in particular I've always struggled with, it's only a few hundred yards long but kicks upwards pretty steeply after half a mile or so of gentler climbing.

Approximately halfway up there's an old layby and I use this as a point to take a break, gasp in some oxygen and have a drink before completing the rest of it.
It's normally very nice, flanked by heavy tree cover, there are squirrels darting about, birds singing and it's all very nice :tongue:

However, in the dead of night it's a very different story.

My lights picked a narrow tunnel through gnarly, skeletal trees and I could feel my heartrate quicken above what it should be even on that climb.

As I breathlessly approached the layby, I'd already decided there was no way in hell I was stopping and was going straight for the top.

At about that point, an Owl screeched in my ear which startled a fox which started screaming. This distracted the herd of Deer (unseen by me) on my other side in the trees which then bolted as they spotted my wheezing carcasse passing by.

Faced with such a sudden assault on my already heightend senses, I put on a sprint that Mr Armstrong himself would've been proud of and practically wheelied over the top of the hill ;) :biggrin:

So there you go, instant power boost, just add one coward and nightfall........

nosherduke996

That sounds like a lot of effort just to get the morning paper. Well done.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's obviously a primitive instinctive response for grown men in a modern age to be still wary of the dark. Adrenalin is a natural doping product. Nice story Panter:biggrin:

Can you leave early today?

:tongue: I know that feeling. I remember going along a path which I used a lot in the day but at night..... I was praying I didn't puncture, hope you don't too ;)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :biggrin:

No, I won't be leaving early, probably late in fact.
I don't go that way home though, Oh no. the return route is even more sinister :ohmy:

Crackle said:
:smile: I know that feeling. I remember going along a path which I used a lot in the day but at night..... I was praying I didn't puncture, hope you don't too ;)

I'll scrabble up there on the bare rims if it comes to it ;)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Panter said:
Guilty as charged :wacko:

me too. It's amaing how much more you hear in the trees & hedges when your cycling on a night time rather than driving with the cd player blasting out :biggrin:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
There's nothing like a good bolt of adrenaline to get a man to the top of a hill on a bike!

There's a winding 5-mile country lane up from the coast to my place, a lovely ride .... during the day! During the night it is as scary as shoot - no houses no street lights, nothing ... except for animals that make weird scuffling noises in the undergrowth and utter the occasional "GWARRRK!" sound ... I shall not be taking that particular route in the dark again!

bonk man

Blissful off road ride on the Malverns last night . 1st part with the local CTC group then after the pub :biggrin: on my own up the side of the Beacon and a thrash through the undergrowth...... the sky was big and the stars bright, I could see the Andromeda Galaxy and Jupiter was bright.

Frosty grass and startled birds underfoot.. who needs to visit a church hey?
Turned out my mate was lying on a bench staring at the stars on the same hill though I didn't see him.

The descent to St Anns Well was scary and like being on a motorbike at 100 mph:becool: I really didn't want it to end. The missus might worry if I failled to get home by midnight and call mountain rescue:laugh:

Top Bottom