Free Hub removal & FLIP FLOP HUB REPLACEMENT - Vintage Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leslie

Regular
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice here...

I am planning to do some tinkering with my bianchi which has been converted to a single speed by a local bike shop. Now, I want to convert it to a flip flop hub so I can ride it on fixed gear too.

1-Does anyone know what type of freewheel to get? My first guess is the Park tool FR-8
https://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-8
let me know if I am correct???

2-Installing a flip flop hub wheel (I intend to keep it easy and simple and just buy a new flip flop hub wheel) -Most of them are 120mm and my frames rear dropout spacing is 126mm...so does anyone recommend and spacers and advice?

3-The fun bit --- anyone has any recommendations which think suits the bike or know where to get a good bargain or if anyone selling?

A lot to ask I know but ... THANKS!!!

IMG_20201015_092618.jpg

IMG_20201015_092636.jpg

IMG_20201015_092841.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any 126mm track wheel with double sided threads will do the job.

Sharky

Guru
Is this just to give fixed a try out?

If you remove the freewheel, you can put on a fixed sprocket in it's place and as you've got two brakes, you don't need to have a lock ring.
In practice, once you've ridden a few miles, the sprocket will be so firmly in place that for normal riding, the lock ring is just cosmetic. If you had to do an emergency stop by just back pedaling (without brakes), it may be a concern.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Is this just to give fixed a try out?

If you remove the freewheel, you can put on a fixed sprocket in it's place and as you've got two brakes, you don't need to have a lock ring.
In practice, once you've ridden a few miles, the sprocket will be so firmly in place that for normal riding, the lock ring is just cosmetic. If you had to do an emergency stop by just back pedaling (without brakes), it may be a concern.
Ridden thousands of miles on fixed with just a sprocket in place of the freewheel without any issue ... 2 brakes !!!

Top Bottom