Free Police security Marking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Got stopped by the police last year and they gave me a marker pen that only shows up under ultra-violet light.Don't know if it works i don't have an ultra-violet light

Drago

Legendary Member
Were they really police?

They look legit...
d05892fc2c2a6369bab0b75b2161c7be_400x1000.jpg

They offered to mark his bottom bracket.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it worth it, looks like a paint that can be ground off?...but is free and tempting
Take photos and record serial numbers. Look after it yourself.

Most police upload your details to one of the privately-owned databases (often without getting informed consent, as the terms that allow marketing and data transfer aren't shown anywhere at the event), such as that immobilise that published what people owned earlier this year, which isn't good for security.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Take photos and record serial numbers. Look after it yourself.

Most police upload your details to one of the privately-owned databases (often without getting informed consent, as the terms that allow marketing and data transfer aren't shown anywhere at the event), such as that immobilise that published what people owned earlier this year, which isn't good for security.
I was thinking that too, jst record all the details and keep a record. but my mates bike was stolen and recovered when the police stopped a kid for an unrelated issue and checked the code on his BB.

can I register my bike on a national database somehow or shall I maybe just invest in some micro dots and register it that way. the problem with that is I'm not convinced the police know how to read microdots...or even know that they exist. to check a recovered bike against ownership. the microdots seem to rely on the Microdot company being made aware of the recovered bike.

so perhaps, to cover all the bases I should have the police mark it too.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My main question is, does this marking remain permanent, can it not be polished off or ground away by a theif?

Drago

Legendary Member
The Bow Street Runners will check for SmartWater, and if it's a pricy bike may scan for Datatag. Unlikely they'll check for anything else, alt least not consistently across the nation.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was thinking that too, jst record all the details and keep a record. but my mates bike was stolen and recovered when the police stopped a kid for an unrelated issue and checked the code on his BB.
What did they check it against, though? The reason I suggest keeping a record of the frame serial number and so on is then you can give them to the police and upload it wherever you like IF the bike is stolen and you don't have to deal with the spam and potential publication before then.

Also I'm not inclined to trust the police to handle my bike safely, much less my data. I would really strongly prefer that they simply showed people how to record their own bike's details and then resources were put into cycling issues (thefts, obstructions, ...) instead of recording people's bike details for them.

Top Bottom