Free Wooden Spoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Inspired by Tail End Charlie’s kind Rainlegs offer I grasped at, I thought I’d offer something in return to the CC community.
In spare time and through winter I make greenwood stuff: chairs; coat hooks; spoons etc.
Up for free then, a hand carved wooden spoon in birch, treated with flax oil. The spoon will be an “eater”; nice for your porridge in the morning, or as a small server. Hand wash and treat with oil now and again.
My luck was to log in just as TEC posted his offer. To avoid this, I’ll put all the names that respond into a hat and draw at random at midday on 23rd.
The winning name might like to give a few coins to RNLI when next they’re by the sea.
Good luck!
Woodenspoons you've made my Xmas, you really have. I'd never have thought my offer would have inspired something like this. The lucky winner will have something to treasure.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

Realise it’s earlier than advertised, but I know you’re all on the edge of your seats. So here goes!

The 43 names have been placed in a sweaty Walz cap, for that authentic touch.

My missus agreed we should have two winners, because she hasn’t had so much excitement in ages.....

Winner 1: Luton Looney
Winner 2: MartinQ
If these members can pm me with addresses etc I will post off next week. Well done! Don’t forget RNLI.

For everyone else, sorry. But no need to be disappointed!

Eaters in birch and ash, ranging from £18 to £22. UK postage is £2.90.

A few cooking spoons still available. Around £20 plus postage (I’d have to check on size at time - think it’s £2.90)

This shows the “crank” in the eating spoons, being the amount of natural curve in the wood, allowing the utensil to be fit for the job, i.e., fitting in your face! They’re made to a sloyd tradition (your search engine will help out if you’re interested) with hand tools alone.

Every spoon blank batch is from a known tree I have felled as part of woodland management activity, as an offshoot of harvesting timber for my sawmill and firewood work in winter. I can give a grid reference for the origin of most spoons.

I was at Staithes Arts Festival again this year and did a few fishy items. Here’s one using the knot....

And another, more useful arty job.

I have a bunch of birch servers left too, but find in this edit that I didn’t upload the snap. And life really is too short. You know what to do if you’re missing a birch server in your life....

Coffee scoops - two left - in funky splatted beech with little bean kolrosing on the stem. £15 + p&p

A girt big cooking spoon I call The Self Defence Spoon. Handy if you need to restore order in the kitchen. Foot long birch culinary weapon. As Terry Tibbs would say “Talk to me!”

The paint I make from milk, lime and earth pigment. The oil is flax seed. It’s all eco and organic and natural and wears nicely. The grain on most of the wood is so tight you don’t need to re-oil for ages. But oil keeps them fresh if you like that look. I suggest you dedicate a spoon to curry serving or cooking, or use one spoon for things which taint. But I could drone on about all this forever, and there’s cycling to be done.

Feel free to pm and we can email back and forth with more pics. Hols mean I’m not around much till Jan.

Thanks again for all your RNLI donations. And thanks again to Tail End Charlie.

Happy Christmas Cyclists.

Last edited:
There's nothing new in the world, but in the spoon world it's not de rigeur to copy. Work on your own style, and take influences from elsewhere. Feel free to pm if you want more connections to resources: there are good and not-so-good routes to follow.

No worries there, I'm far too much of a rebel to copy, and one thing I like about spoon making as opposet to furniture, which is what I was trained to build, is that there's less pressure to make everything the same. I was thinking of general ideas like gutting a nick in the handle, or the way some of your handles have a ridge on the top, or have set me off thinking about different approaches to my style. I tend to make a thin shaft with a bulb at the top, and sand them to death, but having seen your work I'll work on making consistent cuts with the chisel/knife that I can leave them rough.

I was working on a sugar spoon with a similar form to your coffee scoop in the last woodwork lesson at college, with a Celtic knot on the top end. Unfortunately I've gone and lost the thing...

Last edited:

Realise it’s earlier than advertised, but I know you’re all on the edge of your seats. So here goes!

The 43 names have been placed in a sweaty Walz cap, for that authentic touch.

My missus agreed we should have two winners, because she hasn’t had so much excitement in ages.....

Winner 1: Luton Looney
Winner 2: MartinQ
If these members can pm me with addresses etc I will post off next week. Well done! Don’t forget RNLI.

For everyone else, sorry. But no need to be disappointed!

Eaters in birch and ash, ranging from £18 to £22. UK postage is £2.90.

A few cooking spoons still available. Around £20 plus postage (I’d have to check on size at time - think it’s £2.90)

This shows the “crank” in the eating spoons, being the amount of natural curve in the wood, allowing the utensil to be fit for the job, i.e., fitting in your face! They’re made to a sloyd tradition (your search engine will help out if you’re interested) with hand tools alone.

Every spoon blank batch is from a known tree I have felled as part of woodland management activity, as an offshoot of harvesting timber for my sawmill and firewood work in winter. I can give a grid reference for the origin of most spoons.

I was at Staithes Arts Festival again this year and did a few fishy items. Here’s one using the knot....

And another, more useful arty job.

I have a bunch of birch servers left too, but find in this edit that I didn’t upload the snap. And life really is too short. You know what to do if you’re missing a birch server in your life....

Coffee scoops - two left - in funky splatted beech with little bean kolrosing on the stem. £15 + p&p

A girt big cooking spoon I call The Self Defence Spoon. Handy if you need to restore order in the kitchen. Foot long birch culinary weapon. As Terry Tibbs would say “Talk to me!”

The paint I make from milk, lime and earth pigment. The oil is flax seed. It’s all eco and organic and natural and wears nicely. The grain on most of the wood is so tight you don’t need to re-oil for ages. But oil keeps them fresh if you like that look. I suggest you dedicate a spoon to curry serving or cooking, or use one spoon for things which taint. But I could drone on about all this forever, and there’s cycling to be done.

Feel free to pm and we can email back and forth with more pics. Hols mean I’m not around much till Jan.

Thanks again for all your RNLI donations. And thanks again to Tail End Charlie.

Happy Christmas Cyclists.

Many thanks in advance, both for doing this and, more importantly, making sure l won :hyper:. It's been a bit of a tough week after getting rear ended on the bike then having a reaction to the pain killers which was probably worse than the accident. So thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Sharky

Guru
Will decline as I was awarded the club's wooden spoon trophy last year and don't want to be reminded of it.

But next time I see an RNLI will pop a coin in the box. We did last year at the Salcombe shop and will be going there again in the spring.

Just got back from Salcombe and we were there just as they crew were running down to the boat. Not sure if it was an emergency or just a drill as somewere dawdling …

20180516_203241.jpg

and as promised a few coins went into the box in the shop ...

IMG_2030.JPG

Top Bottom