Freehub advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I'm trying to track down a mystery creak on my grown up son's bike and narrowed it down to the rear wheel. The noise starts after about 1-1.5 hours of hard riding but is a niggle rather than a serious graunching.

I was hoping to take off the freehub body to give it a clean but it looks like the one shown. I do most mechanical things on my bikes but haven't come across this push nut type of retainer for a freehub. My question is how do I take it off? Does it require and axle vice or can you just pull it off?

I'm not going to mess around as the bike is worth more than any of mine.
Another thought is that my son is quite big and powerful 6'4 and 14 stone and he's riding Super Record so perhaps its's just wearing out?

Attachments

• Freehub.jpg
    Freehub.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 7

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like it's a hex hey in the axel, that should undo the drive side. What's the other side look like ? Make of hub and model would help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Creaks are often bottom brackets, sometimes dry saddle rails, or where the rail contacts the plastic base of the pedal, bars, compression washer on headset

T4tomo

Legendary Member
creaks are weird. I thought the BB was creaking on one of my bikes, but with chain off etc its maybe slightly off perfect smoothness, but not noisy, but as I was leaning over the saddle doing up the QR i heard a squeak similar to what i'd heard on the bike, so I think the noise is maybe coming from seat post or its interface with either seat tube or saddle. It may explain why its quiet when I free wheel, as I'm not moving weight on the saddle at all.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Creaks are often bottom brackets, sometimes dry saddle rails, or where the rail contacts the plastic base of the pedal, bars, compression washer on headset
cross posted there - what do you mean by dry saddle rails - do you lithium grease or similar on a saddle rail??

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
It is definitely the wheel as I put it in another bike to check , the hub is Pinarello branded and has Duel professional on it.

Top Bottom