Freehub body removal issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Ye I tried the non drive side too as i know some do undo that way but no luck. I'll see if i can get a bigger one tomorrow at Halfords while im collecting a part I ordered.
Good luck with that! I took my back wheel to Halfords the other week for the same thing, just asked if I could borrow their 11mm or buy one. The mechanic there told me that she has never heard of unscrewing freehubs and recommended What she does, which is grab it with pliers hard and pull it off... they didn’t have an Allen wrench bigger than 10mm either...
I politely retreated from the store...

C R

Guru
Good luck with that! I took my back wheel to Halfords the other week for the same thing, just asked if I could borrow their 11mm or buy one. The mechanic there told me that she has never heard of unscrewing freehubs and recommended What she does, which is grab it with pliers hard and pull it off... they didn’t have an Allen wrench bigger than 10mm either...
Some freehubs do pull off, but if they are screwed in trying to pull them off will just break something. Reminds me of the time I wanted a key to tighten presta cores, and the mechanic in Halfords said they just use needle nose pliers.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Ye I only use Halfords if I absolutely have to and mainly due to the bike im trying to rebuild is a halfords brand bike. Ive stopped using then for repairs etc cos something is always worse afterwards.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Can you try with a combination of Allen keys. Say a 4mm + an 8mm to make a 12mm. Try a little force to see if you get traction, but don't force it. At least you will know what size Allen key you need to buy.
Tried a combo of allen keys but hasnt worked im afraid, ive managed to regrease it with clean bearings though while on the bike :okay:

Tom B

Guru
Try asking halfords directly via email or on Twitter with the exact make and model and year of the bike.

If you can get past the "take it to the shop" they can be helpful and either send manuals and plans or just tell you what you need to know. Certainly with my Boardman they've helped me out.

You could also try calling or calling in at one of their stores and asking, if they've got a half decent mechanic in they'll usually tell you stuff like that. The girl at my local frauds will look up what she can on the computer.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Ye I only use Halfords if I absolutely have to and mainly due to the bike im trying to rebuild is a halfords brand bike. Ive stopped using then for repairs etc cos something is always worse afterwards.
The shame is, about ten years ago this Halfords was blimmin good, staffed with people any lbs would be proud of, the manager there was a seasoned mechanic, so much so I wrote to head office to say it was great. Unfortunately now, seems like it’s changed. Good for our lbs tho I imagine.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Try asking halfords directly via email or on Twitter with the exact make and model and year of the bike.

If you can get past the "take it to the shop" they can be helpful and either send manuals and plans or just tell you what you need to know. Certainly with my Boardman they've helped me out.

You could also try calling or calling in at one of their stores and asking, if they've got a half decent mechanic in they'll usually tell you stuff like that. The girl at my local frauds will look up what she can on the computer.
Ye ill try that, I know the make and model but simply cant remember the year. Showing them the bike will probably be more helpful but Im not carting it to the store as I dont drive. So ill try asking the question and see if they can help

newts

Veteran
When i used the 3/8 socket bar in lieu of an 11mm hex key luckily it wasn't too tight.
However yesterday i had to remove another freehub with a 12mm hex key & it required some extra leverage to shift it:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
When i used the 3/8 socket bar in lieu of an 11mm hex key luckily it wasn't too tight.
However yesterday i had to remove another freehub with a 12mm hex key & it required some extra leverage to shift it:rolleyes: View attachment 542153
Wow man, that took some doing by the looks of it then but glad u finally got there! Thats one hell of a wrench too 😂

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
The shame is, about ten years ago this Halfords was blimmin good, staffed with people any lbs would be proud of, the manager there was a seasoned mechanic, so much so I wrote to head office to say it was great. Unfortunately now, seems like it’s changed. Good for our lbs tho I imagine.
I totally agree, years ago I used to swear by Halfords. But at the years went on they just sucked.. one time I came outta there and they didnt even tune my gears properly after a 'service' and I was missing a front disc brake caliper spring so it made a horrid noise when I braked. Since then ive only bought bikes off them but maintained them either myself or took them to Skinnergate cycles or NRG. Only issue with NRG is they didnt even stock or source freehubs for carrera's which was pretty silly. Had to buy a new back wheel with it attached. But anyway, ye alot of repairs seem rushed and half arsed now with them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Replacement freehubs are a nightmare in any brand. Shimano have absolutely oodles in each apparently compatible speed range. It's often a similar cost to buy a whole new hub, although that gets expensive if you don't build your own wheels. I fancy replacement freehubs are priced in the knowledge that it's too much hassle for most people to replace the hub.

Top Bottom