Freehub body removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Hello all.
Can anyone help me in removing the pictured freehub body?
You can see the damage the cassette has done to the body from the pictures, so,I want to change it.
There doesn't appear to be places on it to unscrew the axle first then remove the body. The axle just spins freely both ways independent of the freewheel and it's round with no where to attach any kind of spanner or wrench.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpg
image.jpg

U

User6179

Allen key inside the axel !?

OP
OP
Roadrider48

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Thanks for those replies. I'll look for the right size Allen key and see what happens.
I was changing the cassette and saw the bite marks. It was also awkward to remove the cassette.
I just thought it looked bad and needed changing, but if anyone better qualified than me tells me otherwise I am grateful.
Thanks for quick response btw.
Hi Eddy, all is well?

U

User6179

Hi Eddy, all is well?[/QUOTE]

Aye fine , just going out for a wee 50 miler and the suns out :smile:
You getting the miles in yourself ?:bicycle:

Thanks for those replies. I'll look for the right size Allen key and see what happens.
I was changing the cassette and saw the bite marks. It was also awkward to remove the cassette.
I just thought it looked bad and needed changing, but if anyone better qualified than me tells me otherwise I am grateful.
Thanks for quick response btw.
Hi Eddy, all is well?
You need two 5mm allen keys, one in each side of the axle.

However, the other advice is good, aluminium freehub bodies do get eaten by the cassette but aluminium work-hardens and once it has eaten a certain distance the surrounding metal is hard and the groove doesn't advance. You can dress it with a file to remove the bulges, now that the cassette is off. That will help you get it on and off.

OP
OP
Roadrider48

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If you want to take it off....need a big fat allen key on the inside.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freehub-service

Mine is jammed solid and wont come off - Needs servicing or replacing as it wobbles!
Thanks Rooster. I have already bought another so I'll see how it goes.

OP
OP
Roadrider48

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
You need two 5mm allen keys, one in each side of the axle.

However, the other advice is good, aluminium freehub bodies do get eaten by the cassette but aluminium work-hardens and once it has eaten a certain distance the surrounding metal is hard and the groove doesn't advance. You can dress it with a file to remove the bulges, now that the cassette is off. That will help you get it on and off.
Thanks yellow saddle. Very helpful.
Do you think it's ok to leave like Rooster suggested or would you change it! Bearing in mind I have a new one.
Roosters idea seems pretty good and you also mention filing it, so now I'm not so sure.
Thanks again mate.

Thanks yellow saddle. Very helpful.
Do you think it's ok to leave like Rooster suggested or would you change it! Bearing in mind I have a new one.
Roosters idea seems pretty good and you also mention filing it, so now I'm not so sure.
Thanks again mate.
I don't know. You must decide if you want to keep a spare for later or just use it now. Once it is jammed like Rooster's, you need two chain whips to turn the individual sprockets backwards out of their grooves before they will slide off. Also not a big deal.

Flip a coin. Tails you leave it on. Heads you don't change it.

U

User6179

Aye fine , just going out for a wee 50 miler and the suns out :smile:
You getting the miles in yourself ?:bicycle:
Yeah, all good here mate.
I've already been out this morning, so just doing a bit of maintenance for now.
Have a good ride mate.[/QUOTE]

That's me up to 2500 miles this year and I feel I have hardly been out :smile:

Top Bottom