Freehub body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beats777

Hi all

I left my bike in to get a service recently, I've been told I need a "freehub body". I contacted the cube dealer I bought bike off but no joy in sourcing it. Anyone had any joy in sourcing these before for a Cube bike. Its a Cube Attain race 2021.

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good luck !!! You need to find out what hub it is. You may, or may not be able to get another freehub.

Options are -

Try and find a freehub - you'll need the exact hub model
Buy a whole hub and butcher it for parts - still need model number
If it's sealed cartridge bearings, then you may be able to just replace the bearings in the freehub. If it's a cup/cone wheel less so.

Freehubs are all quite different.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a good chance, being through axel, it uses cartridge bearings.

For example the through axel rear hubs I have use 4 sets of bearings, two for the axel and two for the cassette. I just undo the end caps, and the freehub slides off. With tools you can drift the cartridge bearing out and replace/regrease it.

Not all are the same and it's a Cube wheelset, and specs are limited.

Ajax Bay

Guru
View attachment 583185

View attachment 583185
So went for the cube attain race, was only a choice of 2 bikes I had all shops I tried didn't know when they wud get stock in, happy with it after first ride out today
Presumably this spec: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cube-attain-race-road-bike-2021
Doesn't shed light on the hub badged Cube. But likely a 8/9/10 Shimano HG freehub for the 11-34t cassette.
Wheelset: CUBE RA 0.8 Aero Disc
Worth a scan:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/l18mpu/comment/i9xjis9/

1679418278228.png

Sharky

Guru
My thought process is to compare the potential cost of the freehub body with the potential cost of a new back wheel.

A freehub body can be as much as a third of the cost of a new wheel. So how much life is left in the wheel itself?

Might be better to put the cost of a freehub towards an upgrade Wheelset.

If the wheel was OK before it went in for a service, you can probably keep it for a backup set. If the problem was sticking pawls, then taking it apart and a dab of thin oil will probably see it good for a few miles yet.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The freehub body needed is a Shimano HG 8/9/10sp: about £25 (but I/we don't know what fits to the badged Cube hub).
OP "has been told it needs a new freehub" (by LBS). See other threads by the OP for context.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cassette-and-chain.290762/
The wheel is <2 years old. As I read, if bought from Wiggle/CRC it'd have a 2 year warranty: let's face it a freehub should not fail in 2 years unless thrashed at 20k per year mileage, and even then. That two years from purchase is real close. Depends how OP bought it "from a Cube dealer".

Svendo

Guru
Aren’t freehub bodies usually replaced because of notching in lightweight alloy? That’s certainly my experience, which is why my Hope road hub has the Mtb steel freehub body. Doesn’t help with OP sourcing one I’m afraid, but if it was bearings I’d have thought the bike shop would have done that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
With the OP's bike (10sp) pretty sure their freehub body will be the normal steel one. We have no idea why the freehub needs replacing, other than the LBS's say so.

Top Bottom