Freehub/cassette - not freewheeling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikehippy

Hello

I recently got a new cassette (Shimano XT M770) for my mountain bike (a Trek 6500), however I can't seem to fit it correctly. It goes onto the hub just fine but as soon as I tighten the lockring (even just by hand), it becomes too tight to freewheel. I tried the old lockring and same thing.

I can't see what's going on there - If I take the smallest cassette ring away the system happily freewheels when the lockring is tightened, but as soon as I put it back the whole system becomes too tight.

Help much appreciated - got a big ride coming up this weekend and the bike's been throwing tantrums all week.

Helen

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Is the cassette binding on the spokes?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
was there a spacer washer behind the cassette which you have not refitted? I did this recently with the same result.

OP
OP
B

bikehippy

Managed to fix this thanks - after removing the plastic protector plate from between the cassette and the wheel. Guess the old cassette was slightly shorter!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
bikehippy said:
Managed to fix this thanks - after removing the plastic protector plate from between the cassette and the wheel. Guess the old cassette was slightly shorter!

Great, glad U sorted it. Its frustrating when a seemingly straightforward bike task gives you grief. I swapped my cassette onto a new wheel recently and didnt notice the spacer washer which stayed on the old wheel.. Much head scratching later and I noticed it luckilly.

Top Bottom