Freehub falling off and cassette limiters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I have a new pair of Hunt wheels to go with my gravel bike, to make it easier to chop and change between road and gravel set up. I have fitted a matching cassette to the Hunt rims as what is on the stock wheels, however a few odd things have happened since setting it all up which I’m unsure are ok or not as being a disc brake bike, and a GRX group set I’m not as aux fair with some components as I have become with 105 calliper set up.

1. After installing the cassette to the Hunt wheel, I put the thru axle through it just to be sure it was the right axle I had picked up from the work bench. When I did, I was accidentally able to push the freehub off the wheel, with the cassette attached. I put everything back together ok, and when mounted to the bike it all seems to hold in place, so not sure if this is a problem - I.e. is it all ok as when held under tension it’s fine, or should there be a part that secures the freehub to the wheel? As a reference, I tried to replicate with the stock wheels and the freehub stayed put.

2. Despite having the same cassette on, and following the install guidance from Hunt and Shimano, it seems the mech does need some additional limiter adjustments. I was hoping for a more seamless swap over so wondering if I have got something wrong here? I use a similar trick with my road bike and smart trainer and have no issues other than the odd barrel adjustment needed when swapping between wheel and trainer.

3. What is the clutch or the on/off lever do on the grx mech?

4. Being a newb to thru axle, I was surprised to see how blooming difficult it was to remove and reinstall the rear wheel onto the frame. Is it the grx mech being stiff, or do thru axle group sets require a different approach to removing the rear wheel?

Many thanks, as always for replies and help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1. Some freehubs will pull off, normal.

2. You will need to adjust indexing slightly between makes of hubs. This is common. I had to do 1/2 turn between Dura Ace and Hope hubs on my race bike. Sometimes you don't have to adjust. Just remember the adjustment and it will be second nature when swapping.

3. the clutch limits the movement of the mech on rough ground, stops chain slap - leave it on.

4. Yes they aren't quite as easy and QR, especially adding disks. You'll get the hang of it.

So, all is OK !

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
1. Some freehubs will pull off, normal.

2. You will need to adjust indexing slightly between makes of hubs. This is common. I had to do 1/2 turn between Dura Ace and Hope hubs on my race bike. Sometimes you don't have to adjust. Just remember the adjustment and it will be second nature when swapping.

3. the clutch limits the movement of the mech on rough ground, stops chain slap - leave it on.

4. Yes they aren't quite as easy and QR, especially adding disks. You'll get the hang of it.

So, all is OK !

Top Bottom