Freehub noisy in reverse? Not freehub pawls ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Superstar elite 24 wheelset
The freehub is noisy in reverse a grinding noise , eg when rotating the cranks backwards to clean the chain etc .

No noise out of the ordinary the normal way .

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You think you have problems?

Mine tells me to worship the evil, lord of the dark fire-lands if I pedal backwards.

D

Deleted member 1258

The freehub is noisy in reverse, eg when rotating the cranks backwards to clean the chain etc .

You've got a noisy freewheel? I've got one! The original on my Eastway was quieter than a church mouse, the one on the replacement hub makes a right racket, if someone steps off the pavement I only have to stop pedalling and they dive back on the pavement. Some freewheels are quiet and some are noisy.

Broadside

Guru
The freehub is noisy in reverse, eg when rotating the cranks backwards to clean the chain etc .

I’ve got Superstar Pave 28 wheels with Novatec hubs. The freewheel is pretty noisy but it is easy to disassemble and put more grease in, it makes it almost silent, at the risk of course that colder weather or grime may then make the pawls stick. The novatec hubs are well engineered and extremely easy to strip down for a deep clean.

I like the clicky freewheel, it’s handy coming up behind walkers and horse riders to let them know you’re there before calling out.

Tin Pot

Guru
I’ve got Superstar Pave 28 wheels with Novatec hubs. The freewheel is pretty noisy but it is easy to disassemble and put more grease in, it makes it almost silent, at the risk of course that colder weather or grime may then make the pawls stick. The novatec hubs are well engineered and extremely easy to strip down for a deep clean.

I like the clicky freewheel, it’s handy coming up behind walkers and horse riders to let them know you’re there before calling out.

I reckon my Campagnolo hubs freewheeling beat yours in the decibel levels, and frightens wildlife on country roads (not that I ever freewheel of course, the hammer is always down!)

Broadside

Guru
I reckon my Campagnolo hubs freewheeling beat yours in the decibel levels, and frightens wildlife on country roads (not that I ever freewheel of course, the hammer is always down!)

You’ve got me there! The Novatec hubs are just a bit noisy, not properly loud like some Campagnolo or Hope freewheels I have heard.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You’ve got me there! The Novatec hubs are just a bit noisy, not properly loud like some Campagnolo or Hope freewheels I have heard.

Not all Novatec hubs. The ones on my Van nick are much quieter then the similar hubs on my commuting bike wheels.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Novatec rear hub on my Cero wheels is very noisy. I don't mind it too much, you get used to it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If a noisy freehub is good enough for Danny Mcgaskil, it's good enough for me :tongue:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Uhm i think i had better repost as i think some have misunderstood.
the noise is not normal freehub pawl clicks , more of a grinding noise but only in reverse.

Could it be that there could be a spacer/washer missing between the base of the freewheel and the wheel? I had that once and the grinding stopped if I loosened the freewheel off - because without the spacer it constantly rubbed.

Edit - it was also very stiff without the spacer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Could it be that there could be a spacer/washer missing between the base of the freewheel and the wheel? I had that once and the grinding stopped if I loosened the freewheel off - because without the spacer it constantly rubbed.

Edit - it was also very stiff without the spacer.
Nope , its just got worse over time .
Contacted superstar who have linked me to the correct part.

Top Bottom