Freehub Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So yesterday I thought I'd solved this problem when I removed a Freehub with a 10mm Hex key.

Now I've come across half a dozen where the 10mm key doesn't engage anything from either side. I can see some splines inside the axle, but the 10mm key is either too small or the wrong shape. Is there a specific tool or do I just need an 11mm key?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
How you got a photo of them? Frustratingly there are often numerous ways, but often with common tools. For example the novatec hub I recently stripped had no means of holding the freehub body in, instead you used a 6mm hex key on the non drive side to remove the axle end cap, then the whole axle/freehub assembly just came apart piece by piece.

Another possibility is checking tools like freewheel removal tools, bottom bracket removal tools etc, for fit in the splines. I know Race Face cranks use a Square Taper BB removal tool, to remove their lock rings.

I know you won't be trying to strip a Race Face crank, but it's just an example of how odd choices of tool need to be used for applications where you might least suspect it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You will need either an 11mm or 12mm hex depending on the hub (access and unscrew from the left side obv).
How about https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/socket-sets/sealey-9pc-hex-key-socket-bit-set-3/8in-sq-453406.html
1669282287678.png

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
I've got a selection of box spanners that I inherited from my dad that come in useful for getting freehubs off. Just one example of what chriswoody was saying. I never thought I'd get to use them on a bike but they've been used quite a bit over the years.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
12mm and 14mm are fairly common too.

Top Bottom