Freeloader Solar Power.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep - I have managed:

2x Nokia 6310 (from "Low warning")
1x Sony w880i (form about 50 %)
1x Ipod (5g) form "warning"

1 Garmin Edge powered for 10 miles
2X downloading sessions from Fiji Z20 (about 100 photos)

The beauty is that it replaces all the original chargers saving room.

yello

Cunobelin said:
1 Garmin Edge powered for 10 miles

:sad: I presume that was AFTER charging everything else!

I'm looking for a battery extender/charger for my Edge. Solar can't be relied upon (and I doubt would provide the juice anyway). The MotionBased forum has a few suggestions (including the PM, but the iPod shuffle extender gets a few mentions) but they're mostly mains chargeable. There are a few AA battery powered ones available and it's they that I'm interested in.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a Power Monkey Explorer. It has a PV fold out screen and the Monkey is a high capacity battery. It will charge AA or AAA batteries if you have a suitable cradle. It also charges my Sony Ericcson Mobile phone. It pushes out around 750mA, this is not enough for my Orange SPV phone but is enough for the Sony E. No problems to report, the Monkey can be charged at home from its own mains charger and the PV will keep it topped up and/or recharge it from flat.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Shame about all that power running through your spinning wheels. shame that can not be harnessed when you need it. Especially when descending so ther would be no noticable drag.

jim

Bigtallfatbloke

..well I can now report that on my German tour this thing wasnt really up to the job. Firstly the USB connection for the power panel fell apart and as such I could never be sure if it was working or not. Even after a full day in bright sunshine it still could not charge up my mobile. My mobile was totally flat, on previous occassions this thing had managed to 'top it up' but from a total faly start it had no chance.

It did not work with my ipod shuffle either for some reason.

I also have th ebarrery charger, and it may or may not work, but on this tour it was just so much less hassle (and mor ereliable) to buy batteries for the gPS as I went along.

All in all not a great success. Probably fine for solo sahars trips etc but unecessary in nrthern europe for th emost part.

Heaven Net

jjkl_4710.jpg

Hey all you environment friendly gadget freaks out there! Check out this eco-friendly solar powered portable free loader! In order to charge completely, it will take 3 hours and will store its charge for 3 months. Sounds great na! It has the capability to power any portable device. This multipurpose gadget will cost you around £29.95. Isn’t it pocket friendly? You will be able to power mobile phone, digital camera, iPod etc.

Them free loader comprises of 1000mAh Li-ion battery. You can charge it using solar panels within 5 hours and within 3 hrs using USB socket. With the help of connectors and lead, power the desired device. It measures 123 x 62 x 17mms folded / 188 x 62 x 17mm open; 124grms.
Adaptors supplied include: LG; Motorola; Nokia; Samsung; Sony Ericsson; Sony PSP, Tom Tom sat nav; digital cameras; PDAs; Blackberry; Nintendo DS; iPod; iPod Shuffle; MP3 players; GPS.
Specification:
Solar Panels: 120mA
Li-ion battery: 1000mAh
Input Voltage from USB: 5v 500mA
Output voltage: 4.5 – 5.5v
Output current: 500mA
Weight: 124 grams

Top Bottom