Freeloader Solar Power.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

Hi, Has enyone used a freeloader solar charger that there is a supercharger pannel that fits on the top of your rear panniers You can allso get a battery charger for it. Looks very impressive. Please give me some feedback if you own one. Regards Tombo 707.

Bigtallfatbloke

I had not heard of this before you posted...so i googled it and found this (amoungst others)

http://www.firebox.com/product/1796?src_t=t20

Is this what you mean?

It looks pretty cool...

I need something to power up my palm size digital Tv whilst on the bike...hmm...this could be it....but it says nothing about working with TV sets...

my tv has it's own battery cell inside it which charges via the mains adaptor and lasts for about 4 hours use. The adaptor says it takes 100-240v-60hz inputs and outputs 5v--1.44A (7.2W max) which means nothing to me. It also has a DC 5v input socket ..does anybody know if such a solar charger could charge up my TV's battery cell??

Then there is my Digital camera charger...hmm...this one inputs 100-240v-0.2A 50/60hz 9-14VA and outputs4.2v-650ma..it also has a DC 4.7v socket .erm...Me's just as confused...will this work?

I am assuming my phone and ipod will work bvecause this thing states ipods and phones work..but it said nothing about TV sets and Cameras.

...if anybody has an idea about if this will allow me to charge up all my gear then I'd very much appreciate it. Ta.

dodgy

I know a couple of people who have bought (similar to) these and binned them not long after. Perhaps the tech has improved and they're worth a second look, I'd be interested in more first hand knowledge of them

Dave.

OP
OP
T

Tombo 707

Portable T.V

Hi Bigfatbloke thankyou for your reply. I think if you email the folk who are selling them they will pit you right. I am just starting out as a tourer and I have been looking at your very valid information. I have orderd one of these Freeloaders, the freeloader globetrotter and a battery charger to charge light batterys. I hope this charger is compatable for your t.v . Regards Tombo 707

Bigtallfatbloke

Tombo 707 said:
Hi Bigfatbloke thankyou for your reply. I think if you email the folk who are selling them they will pit you right. I am just starting out as a tourer and I have been looking at your very valid information. I have orderd one of these Freeloaders, the freeloader globetrotter and a battery charger to charge light batterys. I hope this charger is compatable for your t.v . Regards Tombo 707

Hi,
let me know how you get on with it when it arrives ok?:wacko:

Meantine here is another link:
http://www.solartechnology.co.uk/

...& a lifted this from the manual

Electrical Characteristics / Performance
1. Solar Panel (mono/multi crystalline): 5.5V 120mA
2. Rechargeable Lithium Battery: 3.7V 1000mAh
3. USB charging cable: 5V 500mA
4. DC Output: 5.5V+/– 0.5% 500mA
5. Time required to deliver power from Freeloader:
30 minutes to 1 hour
6. Time required to charge the FreeLoader internal
battery using the USB charge cable: 3 to 4 hours
7. Time required to charge the FreeLoader internal
battery in sunny conditions using the solar panels:
5 to 10 hours
Note - light quality plays a key role in determining the speed
of charge. Cloudy days or the Freeloader being positioned
behind a glass window will all increase the time needed to
charge its battery.
Components Included:
1 x FreeLoader charger; 1 x USB charge cable
1 x Power Master cable; 1 x Adaptor for Nintendo DS Lite
1 x Adaptor for Motorola mobile phone
1 x Adaptor for LG Chocolate Series Phones
2 x Adaptors for Nokia mobile phones
2 x Adaptors for Samsung mobile phones
2 x Adaptors for Sony Ericsson mobile phones
1 x 4mm jack plug for PSP, Tom Tom, digital camera etc
1 x USB 2.0 Female socket cable for iPod, PDA’s etc
1 x Mini USB adaptor for Motorola RAZR, Blackberry etc

but I still dont know if it would match my Tv and digital camera?...my e mail is broken so i cant e mail the supplier right now until i get a new account set up...

yello

I used a Freeloader a couple of times last summer when camping. It worked but I don't class that as a conclusive long term test; it was literally twice. The Freeloader charged during the day for a few days and I rejuiced a mobile phone with it... so I didn't really put it to too severe a test.

Bigtallfatbloke

Check the OE chargers for their outputs and see if they match.

Thanks for the help. What are 'OE chargers' though?:biggrin:

Sorry...you are talking to a total nob here:blush::ohmy:

I use the Power Monkey as a charger - it will cahrge both our phones, and the Ipod with enough juice left to power th camera for a couple of days.

The solar charger is gimmicky though. It works, but slowly.

I left it out all day today with my phone and it only 3/4 charged it. It wold not provide enough power to use the camera though.

I my case I think I will use the solar for th phone, and use the PM istelf for ecverything else.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cunobelin said:
I use the Power Monkey as a charger - it will cahrge both our phones, and the Ipod with enough juice left to power th camera for a couple of days.

The solar charger is gimmicky though. It works, but slowly.

I left it out all day today with my phone and it only 3/4 charged it. It wold not provide enough power to use the camera though.

I my case I think I will use the solar for th phone, and use the PM istelf for ecverything else.

Do you have both the PMs and use the Classic which you have charged from mains source previously for the camera and the PM solar for phone use?
The solar one is twice the price if it's no good doesn't represent good value.

Right......

1. The Explorer contains a Power Monkey unit (updated with LCD display) a mains charger and the solar charger.It can be charged with either.
2. I use the Power Monkey charged from home on my tours and keep it exclusively for use with the phones and cameras - I do not carry the mains charger
3. The Solar Unit is only carried on summer tours when it sits on top of the bar bag (or rack depending on bike and trickle charges the phones and or the PM unit - but only if it is sunny
4. My camera has a system which replaces the battery with an adapter - this works withthe PM not the Slar. The other camera charges again from the PM with a little contribution from the Solar

In the UK I would NOT suggest relying on the Solar as the exclusive source, but as an occasional free top-up!

Top Bottom