Freeview HD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Anyone in the Kingdom of Fife receiving freeview HD ? Apparently the freeview checker says that HD signal is in the area KY11 ? Just had another look and its a wee bit confusing, if I don`t put my house number ( just the postcode ) in its available now, if you put both in its not till next year???

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/HD

Why has the back end nowhere in Fife got it but the south coast of England isn't going to get it until 2012 according to the Freeview website?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
MrGrumpy said:
Anyone in the Kingdom of Fife receiving freeview HD ? Apparently the freeview checker says that HD signal is in the area KY11 ? Just had another look and its a wee bit confusing, if I don`t put my house number ( just the postcode ) in its available now, if you put both in its not till next year???

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/HD

The reason for the confusion is that originally there was a very slow roll out based on Digital Switch Over. Then ofcom had enormous pressure off people like me and then did a u-turn and tried to get freeview HD to as many places as possible in 2010, that and the HD stuff was decided much much later anyway.

So the 2011 date will be your region, but some of the big transmitters are getting it earlier.

So some bits of Fife are August 2010 and the rest will be next year.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Blackhill is transmitting Freeview HD now. I tried a KY4 postcode and the signal is pretty weak there, especially problematic as PSB3 which is what you want only transmits at 10,000W.

Craigkelly obviously isn't transmitting freeview HD and there seems to be some confusion over when that'll be.

Davidc

Guru
If you can receive it by far the easiest way to get HD is by satellite, with freesat HD boxes now available at less than £100 incl. VAT in local shops.

Davidc said:
If you can receive it by far the easiest way to get HD is by satellite, with freesat HD boxes now available at less than £100 incl. VAT in local shops.

Anyone know if it's possible to use a Freesat box with a Sky dish at the same time as having a 'standard' (non-hd) Sky box setup? Some kind of switching-box thingy available?

I don't fancy paying Sky another tenner a month for basic hd channels if I can get it for the purchase price of a Freesat hd box, but I don't want to leave Sky completely as we like the movies channels.

Davidc

Guru
MrGrumpy said:
no way of getting sat tv at this address, unless I get the chainsaw out, then I`ll have the tree huggers after me :tongue:

That's why I put 'if you can get it'!

I have things the other way round - while the leaves are on the trees I have problems with terrestrial, and could only solve them with a chain saw.

Digital is much better than analogue was, but still degraded, except that reception of the 'wrong' service from a different transmitter is now very good where it was poor on analogue. Wrong local news though.

Don't have HD and can't see any reason to buy it, but use the 'freesat from Sky' service during the leafy season. It gets replaced with a Freesat box if they insist on me buying a new card though.

Top Bottom