Freewheel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a couple of elderly steel framed bikes. They each have 700c wheels and the rear dropouts are 130mm.

The gear changers are friction shifts on the downtube.

Both bikes have 13/28 6 speed freewheels.

On the one bike, the 13/28 freewheel needs replacing; I live in a very hilly region and with this in mind I have managed to swop some computer bits for two (new old stock freewheels) with the view that I might be able to use them.

One is a Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel 14/30 and the other is a Ventura 8 speed 13/32.

The Ultra 6 is quite narrow, whilst the Ventura is quite wide; could either of these work effectively on my bike ?

If the 8 speed freewheel were fitted, would it put excessive stress on the axle ?

If the Ultra 6 is fitted, would I be able to find a chain which would allow it to work with my Shimano Tiagra 50/34 chainset ?

In the future, I'll have to consider the possibility of changing from freewheels to cassettes; if I make this change, will I be able to keep the downtube friction changers - which I like ? Would I have to buy entirely new 700c wheels or could the existing wheels be used ?

Thank you for any replies.

Try measuring the original freewheel width against the new ones you have. Then see what sort of gap you have between the freewheel and frame at the moment will they fit without the chain hitting the frame on the smallest of the rear chain wheels? The reason I ask this is because on my hack bike a have a 6 speed freewheel on a 5 speed wheel ( with 7 speed shifters ?????)Which only just clears the frame. Generally (as far as my little knowledge goes) the more gears fitted on the freewheel for a given chain width /axle width the smaller the distance between the spokes for each side of the wheel on the hub in order to make the axle width the same i.e. 130mm (hope this makes sense) they get round this by using a slimmer chain with the freewheels in order that the chain wheels for each gear can be closer thus the freewheel narrower. A easier way of saying this would be the wheel is normally designed to work with a certain size with of freewheel. All that said if you do have the room between frame and smallest chain wheel I cannot see a problem. As long as you stick with the freewheel with the same chain width you have, Think the 8 speed will need a narrower chain then narrower front chain rings ££££ ( some one else may be able to help here 5/6/7 speed use one size then 8/9 speed a narrower chain I think) Friction shifters cope with this sort of thing very well.

Hope that helps.

As said before I’m no real expert but have done plenty of bicycle recycling /bodging over the years for local kids/ friends and myself.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I have a lightweight steel framed racing bike with a 13-28 freewheel and 42-52 chain rings and I have got used to climbing some of the most extreme hills you can find. If you have a 34 chain ring and are of reasonable fitness, the bike is a lightweight and has narrow 23mm tyres then you should be able to climb just about anything. You can change to a cassette but will need to change the hub. It might be easier to just change the wheel.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Down tube friction shifters will work with all cassettes/freewheels from any manufacturer & any number of speeds. It's the classic "get out of jail free" card.

6/7/8 speed chain is all the same. 9 speed is narrower.

Not recommended but you can run a wider chain on narrow chainrings.
I'm running an 8 speed chain on a Tiagra triple chainset at the moment and a 6 speed freewheel - no probs so far. (apart from saving enough pennies for a wheel which will take cassette)

Top Bottom