Freewheel/Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Both those Ebay sites seem to have issues with describing their products accurately - the chain description should read 1/2 x 1/8 not 1/2 x 1 1/8 and the freewheel says 'freewheel fixie singlespeed' when it can't be both. Personally I don't usually buy stuff from people who can't describe it properly - I tend to assume that the quality of their advertising reflects the quality of the product.

So I'd say yes - both those components should work together (assuming that the wheel you're using has got a thread to take a screw on freewheel) but I'd be inclined to shop around and see if you can pick up some better quality components without breaking the bank. I put a KMC Z510 (currently £3.99 at Planet X) on my fixie and it lasted just 4 months - my previous chain (a KMC Z510HX - £9.99 from Chain Reaction Cycles) had lasted 14 months. With components that are going to wear it does make sense to spend a bit more.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Like al-fresco says, these will work together.

Chains, chainrings and sprockets come in either 1/8" (track and BMX standard) or 3/32" (road standard) sizes. If either your sprocket or chainring are 1/8", then you must use a 1/8" chain.

It's likely that the freewheel doesn't take a standard freewheel remover, so when it needs to come off you'll need a hammer and a screwdriver!

Also like A-F says, these will prove to be a false economy.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Ordered both, they've arrived and plan to fit them this weekend. Seem fine!

I know they're not great quality but I'm just building a cheap basic SS.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
A chain is not something I would not scrimp on personally (even on a cheap build, after all with a noisy or broken chain, it's far less of a fun bike), and to reflect what al-fresco said, I wouldn't buy from a seller/ company who can't consistently spell their own name correctly in their own advert...

Maybe I'm just picky though

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Of course you may have come across a budget product that delivers way more than expected, so fingers crossed.

What bike is this going on? I saw you had some posts about your Triban.

Top Bottom