Freewheel has gone stiff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Or a flat blade screwdriver pushed in the side of a slightly too small Allen key to take up the slack.

Just don't, and don't use two allen keys. Right tool, right job. It will be held on tight, so don't use these suggestions or you may be looking at a new wheel as you feck up the splines.

I do have to question some folk's use of tools ! Good god !

fossyant

It is almost impossible to actually buy 11mm hex keys,

Talking rubbish again sunshine ! Easily available. I've got hex keys in 1mm increments upto at least 12mm for the bikes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/11mm-allen-key/s?k=11mm+allen+key

Alex321

Veteran
Talking rubbish again sunshine ! Easily available. I've got hex keys in 1mm increments upto at least 12mm for the bikes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/11mm-allen-key/s?k=11mm+allen+key

Interesting. I know I couldn't find any at the time, but maybe I only looked at sets, rather than looking for individual ones.

None of the sets I could see on that link include 9 or 11mm.

I was also probably only looking at places like Screwfix, Toolstation, B&Q, where I could walk in and buy them.

tyred

Legendary Member
Just don't, and don't use two allen keys. Right tool, right job. It will be held on tight, so don't use these suggestions or you may be looking at a new wheel as you feck up the splines.

I do have to question some folk's use of tools ! Good god !

Absolutely right of course, the right tool is definitely always best but it can sometimes be useful to know these things too.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
i went and ordered a 12mm hex bit last night , if it doesn't fit then it must be 11mm. will have to wait and see

Question: on the inside of the freehub it's not shaped like a hex bit, it's more ribbed? as can be seen from my photo.
i take it the hex bit still engages with this the same? the six sides will fall into 6 of those gaps?

also, it's moving slightly better since last night. will continue to spray and work it, see if it frees up.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you buy a replacement and it is one which needs an 11mm hex key, they often come with an adapter (which goes over an 8mm one). It is almost impossible to actually buy 11mm hex keys, they usually go up in 2mm increments from 6 onwards.
I suggested 7/16ths as the perfectly good substitute - <£2 - fromage differential unknown.
https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/hex-a...html?msclkid=01fdf3aa900b12c5ad77978ed447aed2
@NorthernSky there are 12 'ribs' which allow a hex key to fit at 30 degree positions, an 11mm or 7/16" hex key that is.

fossyant

The hex key still fits - but it's a reason not to use bodged tools as you've not got the same amount of material in contact with the hex key. It's designed like that so there is sufficient room for the axel to pass through.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
the 12mm hex key arrived, it's too big :cry:
must be the unusual 11mm
it's ok though, had sprayed it with a load of wd40 (left overnight) and it loosened it up. cleaned the bearings and re-greased
it's back together waiting a cycle :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hope re-oiled not greased (latter will make pawls sticky). But v glad it loosened up.
Given the critical nature of a freehub, and complete inability to solve on the road, I would procure and replace. You cannot mitigate the risk sufficiently any other way, imho.
Which is exactly what I did when my freehub failed a fair few miles away from home on the way back from the pub at 11pm. Fortunately I had a friend only a couple of miles away (scooted there) and borrowed a bike to get home. Mine was a Shimano FH-4400 and the LBS had a replacement for me to fit immediately.

Sharky

Guru
complete inability to solve on the road
There is always a way.

Happened to me once on a 23 mile commute home. The freehub became "free" in both directions. So I took a toe strap and weaved it round the largest sprocket and the hub spokes, turning it into a fixed gear. Completed my commute riding very gently, but I did get home.

I've also heard of zip ties being used to the same effect.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There is always a way. Happened to me once on a 23 mile commute home. The freehub became "free" in both directions. So I took a toe strap and weaved it round the largest sprocket and the hub spokes, turning it into a fixed gear. Completed my commute riding very gently, but I did get home.
I've also heard of zip ties being used to the same effect.
I was on modern pedals. I used all 4 zipties but they parted(were cut; in pairs, twice) as soon as I set off. A toe strap would surely have worked.
Spurred by your comment I will do so 'in garage' experiments to see if can work out a lacing plan which 'works' though the failed freehub is long binned.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The square end of a 3/8" socket extension bar is a usable substitute for an 11mm hex key. It worked very well on my Bontrager freewheel.
Interesting. The freehubs have 12 vertices created by the ribs. Trig suggests that one for an 11mm hex key has a diameter of 12.7mm between opposite vertices (and this measures as well: the internal vertices (6) of an 11mm socket measures at 12.9mm).
The 3/8" extension bar diagonal (the corners are chamfered) is 11.3mm and the 4 corners will engage 4 of the 12 vertices in the socket/freehub. One for the OP to try (putting up with the cries of 'tools' and 'bodge').

OP
OP
NorthernSky
Hope re-oiled not greased (latter will make pawls sticky). But v glad it loosened up.
Given the critical nature of a freehub, and complete inability to solve on the road, I would procure and replace. You cannot mitigate the risk sufficiently any other way, imho.
Which is exactly what I did when my freehub failed a fair few miles away from home on the way back from the pub at 11pm. Fortunately I had a friend only a couple of miles away (scooted there) and borrowed a bike to get home. Mine was a Shimano FH-4400 and the LBS had a replacement for me to fit immediately.

greased the bearings for the axel, i couldn't get at the freewheel but if i do have to take it off i'll remember to oil and not grease
probably try and get a replacement in case this crops up again

Top Bottom