where has my glue gone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
Went to patch a visit from the p** fairy to find the glue evaporating brownies had been there before me ....managed to roll, squish,press,bite and rub enough out of what seemed to be a 3/4 full tube to do the job..(only just) ....Why can't they package these in a clear tube so you know what you've got left for the job?
Any tips on keeping your glue where it should be for use when you need it ?
The top was tightly on and no (visible) cracks in the metal tube

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Went to patch a visit from the p** fairy to find the glue evaporating brownies had been there before me ....managed to roll, squish,press,bite and rub enough out of what seemed to be a 3/4 full tube to do the job..(only just) ....Why can't they package these in a clear tube so you know what you've got left for the job?
Any tips on keeping your glue where it should be for use when you need it ?
The top was tightly on and no (visible) cracks in the metal tube

Yep it magic 'evaporates' after opening / before your next use - at the exact moment you need it. I bought 3 biggish tubes from Amazon (other retailers available) for such an annoyance...

tyred

Legendary Member
Try and get it in metal tubes and roll it up from the bottom as you use it. Try to ensure that there's no air in the tube when the lid is replaced and also make sure it doesn't touch the tube when you are applying it.

OP
OP
roley poley

roley poley

Über Member
No easy answer other than making sure you have an unopened tube in your kit, just for such annoying times.

i have now but feel that when i break its seal will check for air gaps to know where i stand in reality for the future

Reactions: gbb

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That has not been my experience.

Then I would say Mike you have not have been applying them properly.

You need to apply as you would normal glue and patches. Ie ruff and clean the area, apply, making sure patch is smooth then press down hard on patch for a good 30 seconds.

Over the years ive never had one fail on me yet.

Drago

Legendary Member
Someone in the house has been sniffing it. That rubber cement is good sheet, man.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
"where's the glue gone?" was a question at Wednesday's crit race when a rider's tub tyre rolled off the rim on a tight corner. Maybe not the first question, or thing they said, but ...

Given they'd also clipped a pedal at least twice whilst cornering it wasn't an incident-free evening for them.

(And yes, they should know how to corner if racing)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had this with an unopened glue before - had it on my 'road' pack for carrying with me, came to use it (fortunately not on a ride), and the stuff had dried up. Ordered some Park glued patches and some tubes of glue (that were rather large) and haven't used any of them in 12 months !

I want clear plastic tube packaging so we can see the contents please

Good idea - I assume metal is both cheaper and much more pliable, so easy to make the tubes from?

A tip that helps quite a bit is to open the tubes at the bottom - yes, really! - i.e. leave the plastic lid screwed on. It's much slower the first time you try, but gets a lot easier.
Probably not foolproof, but sooooooooooooo far, it's prevented the totally-dried-up problem for me ...

Top Bottom