Freewheel noise on Brompton P line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TC99

Regular
Hi all. I have a new P line and it's really loud when freewheeling? Not stealthy and louder than bird song! Can it be quietened down?

Fastpedaller

Hi all. I have a new P line and it's really loud when freewheeling? Not stealthy and louder than bird song! Can it be quietened down?

Maybe ask Brompton if it's expected/normal?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It’s quite a common thing on Bromptons, there’s another thread on here discussing it.
I had the problem myself, but it’s gone now, I’m not sure if the noise went away of it’s own accord, or if it was because I poured some oil into the hub, either way it doesn’t make the noise now. BTW, it didn’t make the noise when it was new, I’d had it a few months before it started.
Another best check with your dealer first before doing anything.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
The P line doesn't have the hub gear, its got 4 sprockets on a freehub with a derailleur. You could probably quieten it down a bit if you strip the freehub and use slightly thicker grease on the pawls.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Given its essentially a commuter bike, a noisy hub or a bit of rattle is a positive advantage to let those pedestrians (who aren't plugged into earphones) that you're there

Different free hubs make different noises. I have a 30 year old Shimano RSX hub that is almost completely silent. When I first used it I thought the pawls had seized, but it’s worked perfectly fine all those years. By contrast my Moulton has a Hope hub that is so loud it could wake the dead, I try to avoid freewheeling in built up areas…

Kell

Veteran
Different free hubs make different noises. I have a 30 year old Shimano RSX hub that is almost completely silent. When I first used it I thought the pawls had seized, but it’s worked perfectly fine all those years. By contrast my Moulton has a Hope hub that is so loud it could wake the dead, I try to avoid freewheeling in built up areas…

Hope hubs are notoriously loud anyway. I had a set of hope wheels on an Orange MTB and when I first got it I thought something was wrong with it.

I did commute on that bike for a bit, and as mentioned above the noise was useful in town. Or at least it was pre-iPod (and now iPhone) when people could still hear while they walked about.

OP
OP
TC99

TC99

Regular
I really don't like the noise. I was out on my hybrid last weekend and the freewheel noise is barely discernible. So my options are to strip my P line freewheel and slap a load of thick grease in and put back together? Is there a replacement freewheel that I could get that would be near silent? I am good at yelling to make other road users aware of my presence.

Fastpedaller

I really don't like the noise. I was out on my hybrid last weekend and the freewheel noise is barely discernible. So my options are to strip my P line freewheel and slap a load of thick grease in and put back together? Is there a replacement freewheel that I could get that would be near silent? I am good at yelling to make other road users aware of my presence.

Easiest way to silence it is to pedal!

Top Bottom