Freewheel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a two prong freewheel to remove and it is proving stubborn (theres a surprise). It is on an aluminium hub which l really don't want to mess up! Are there any cunning tricks to getting these off or is it brute force and hope for the best :whistle:

Yes there are some tricks. Firstly NEVER allow the tool to slip, one slip and you are in trouble because it is ruined. Attempt to clamp the tool to the wheel so that it cannot move outwards. Put QR or bolt or something through the axle and nuts either side, with the tool held in place.
Secondly, find a helper. One person has to stabilise the wheel whilst you wrench away with a long lever.
Lots of advice for "putting it in a vice" instead of using a spanner will be forthcoming but beware of this. Firstly, the required force is enough to rip the vice right out the bench or worse, break the vice. Obviously a sturdy, quality vice on a good bench with through-bolts (not coach screws) is good. However, the vice only puts force on two sides, which squashes the tool as it attempts to turn in the vice. Previous slip-marks on the spanner side will make this easier to happen.

Good luck. Hello freehub

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yes there are some tricks. Firstly NEVER allow the tool to slip, one slip and you are in trouble because it is ruined. Attempt to clamp the tool to the wheel so that it cannot move outwards. Put QR or bolt or something through the axle and nuts either side, with the tool held in place.
Secondly, find a helper. One person has to stabilise the wheel whilst you wrench away with a long lever.
Lots of advice for "putting it in a vice" instead of using a spanner will be forthcoming but beware of this. Firstly, the required force is enough to rip the vice right out the bench or worse, break the vice. Obviously a sturdy, quality vice on a good bench with through-bolts (not coach screws) is good. However, the vice only puts force on two sides, which squashes the tool as it attempts to turn in the vice. Previous slip-marks on the spanner side will make this easier to happen.

Good luck. Hello freehub
Thank you very much Yellow Saddle l appreciate your advice.....it sounds as though l am in for a struggle !
I'll let you know how l get on.

si_c

Guru
Thank you very much Yellow Saddle l appreciate your advice.....it sounds as though l am in for a struggle !
I'll let you know how l get on.

As @Yellow Saddle said, freewheels can be a bit of a pain to remove. I'm assuming that you have the correct freewheel removal tool (as you said two prong I'm going to assume it's a Suntour one), as otherwise you're on a hiding to nothing.

You definitely need to clamp the tool into the freewheel with the quick release as they have a tendency to not stay in, and if they slip out you're going to damage something. Also you will need a fairly long handled wrench to get enough leverage to remove it, I generally find I can't remove them with my 1' wrench at all, so I use a bench vise, to clamp the tool.

You do have to be very careful, and the vise I use is metal and held in with 4 coach bolts, I also use some wood blocks cut to size to make sure the tool is level in the vise before fitting the wheel and QR.

Honestly my suggestion would be simply to take it to your LBS and ask them to remove it for you. Firstly if they wreck the hub that's their responsibility, not yours, and they'll likely have the experience, tools and necessary pairs of hands to do it. Should take them no more than 5 minutes, so it's a walk in job.

midlife

Guru
Do you need the freewheel. If not then dismantle the freewheel and grip the body of the freewhell in the vice :biggrin:

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
As @Yellow Saddle said, freewheels can be a bit of a pain to remove. I'm assuming that you have the correct freewheel removal tool (as you said two prong I'm going to assume it's a Suntour one), as otherwise you're on a hiding to nothing.

You definitely need to clamp the tool into the freewheel with the quick release as they have a tendency to not stay in, and if they slip out you're going to damage something. Also you will need a fairly long handled wrench to get enough leverage to remove it, I generally find I can't remove them with my 1' wrench at all, so I use a bench vise, to clamp the tool.

You do have to be very careful, and the vise I use is metal and held in with 4 coach bolts, I also use some wood blocks cut to size to make sure the tool is level in the vise before fitting the wheel and QR.

Honestly my suggestion would be simply to take it to your LBS and ask them to remove it for you. Firstly if they wreck the hub that's their responsibility, not yours, and they'll likely have the experience, tools and necessary pairs of hands to do it. Should take them no more than 5 minutes, so it's a walk in job.
I would do just that and take it to an LBS if only there was a local one. I live in darkest rural Southern France and such luxuries are not available. The nearest big town is Cahors and l haven't yet found a bike shop there :angry:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Do you need the freewheel. If not then dismantle the freewheel and grip the body of the freewhell in the vice :biggrin:

Shaun
I am liking this idea Shaun , the freewheel l want to remove has a distinct wobble plus it is geared too high which is why l want to change it !

si_c

Guru
I would do just that and take it to an LBS if only there was a local one. I live in darkest rural Southern France and such luxuries are not available. The nearest big town is Cahors and l haven't yet found a bike shop there :angry:
Try this one http://www.servalot.fr/index.html

I wince a bit at this one. Things do go wrong when stuck freewheels are removed and I'll argue, due care having been taken, it is not the shop's responsibility. Not in this case.

si_c

Guru
I wince a bit at this one. Things do go wrong when stuck freewheels are removed and I'll argue, due care having been taken, it is not the shop's responsibility. Not in this case.

I'd agree with that, with one caveat. A freewheel should be straight forward enough to remove, and if it's proving difficult the shop should contact you to let you know and ask if you want to proceed. If I handed a wheel over to a shop and they simply told me later that it was ruined I wouldn't be happy in the slightest.

Top Bottom