Freewheeling in from Inverness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

templepunk

Hi to all. I am 44 yrs young and my cycling is currently restricted to commuting daily to my work so about 30 odd miles weekly. I aim to buy a road bike this summer and my goal is to not only get out more but to perhaps join a group and also to get to grips with the maintenance side of things on the modern cycle.

I've joined the forum to speak to likeminded people from the Highlands and beyond who get out and about and might even be part of a group who welcome a novice in thir ranks. I see a lot of groups out on the roads at the moment, all very professional looking and kitted out but how do they meet?

I am fortunate in that my employer has a cycle scheme so I'm busy reviewing some bikes at the moment to invest in a more serious bit of kit. I'll look through the threads and hopefully gain some first hand feedback. How much should I budget for my first road bike is a tricky one so I'm keeping an open mind at the moment.

Best wishes to all on cycle chat. Atholl

Coco

Welcome to CC.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Welcome, from a southerner.

If you check local papers you may find articles about local cycling groups. Local Bike Shops (LBS) may also have some info.

If you are using C2W scheme there are probably upper and lower limits. My employer specifies £250 - £1000. At least there are lots of options in that range.

I got a Defy 3.5 on C2W - around £500 before any tax savings.

Get some recommendations from LBS and try some out before you buy.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
templepunk said:
and also to get to grips with the maintenance side of things on the modern cycle.
:sad: templepunk and :welcome:to CC :ohmy:

For your maintenance aspirations, the latest copy of Cycling Active magazine (usually best got from WH Smith) has a Maintenance DVD as a freebie. I've got it but not had/made time to look at it yet :smile: but fellow CCers say it is quite good. Certainly a cheap starting point - and a free mag too ! :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy your :ohmy:. There is plenty of advice around CC on what sort of bike to get for a first road bike.

**WARNING**: it's a slippery slope ! :laugh: N=n+1 :biggrin:

OP
OP
T

templepunk

Thanks for advice have got DVD + mag & have contacted Moray Firth CC by email to see if they accept enthusiastic novices into their ranks.

Roll on July when the Cycle Scheme becomes available again mind you it gives me a bit of time to visit a few shops.

I've also discovered an old road bike which was beqeathed to me lying in my brother in laws garage for ten years which will allow me to get to grips with maintenance basics without rendering my commuter hybrid cycle a mass of spare parts !

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
templepunk said:
Thanks for advice have got DVD + mag & have contacted Moray Firth CC by email to see if they accept enthusiastic novices into their ranks.

Roll on July when the Cycle Scheme becomes available again mind you it gives me a bit of time to visit a few shops.

I've also discovered an old road bike which was beqeathed to me lying in my brother in laws garage for ten years which will allow me to get to grips with maintenance basics without rendering my commuter hybrid cycle a mass of spare parts !
Always good to dismantle a bike and (aim to :smile:) put it together again :biggrin:. Then, if it's not a great success, you have a ready-made 'box of bits' :smile:.

Hope the 'maintenance' goes well :sad:.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome :thumbsup:

coco2

Veteran
Hi templepunk, if your up for it, you nip down the A9 to aviemore on a thursday night and come out with the cairngorm cc...thursday nights are all about easy pace riding and chatting, so your more than welcome.

Top Bottom