Freewheeling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My other half (who is fit and cycles ludicrous distances regularly - despite his advancing age :biggrin:) is on a new mission to stop me from freewheeling. He is adamant that you should be able to cycle with no freewheeling whatsoever. Seems a bit much to me and I wondered what other people's views were. If I didn't freewheel every now and then my legs would drop off...^_^

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Nuts to that!

Lee_M

Guru
cycle how you want when you want and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

yes of course you can cycle without freewheeling, and it is probably more efficient and will get you fitter quicker, but life's too short!

People do tend to freewheel too much to be perfect - but so what?

Even the pros freewheel - thats good enough for me.

if you're on a fixie of course I suggest you dont freewheel ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
Surely that's why the freewheel was invented?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can pedal my Cannondale up to about 43 mph (135 rpm cadence) downhill but any faster than that and I definitely need to freewheel. At 55 mph, I'd need to be doing 175 rpm! Even with a 12 tooth sprocket in place of my 13, I'd be doing 160 rpm, and what would be the point when I wouldn't actually be going any faster?

tell him you will stop freewheeling when he stops nagging you... in theory that should give you the best of both world...:biggrin:

but seriously unless it is a pedal one revolution on the flat, freewheel some, pedal one revolution freewheel some approach I would say (tactfully) stuff that and cycle how the (oh can't type that bit) you want to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You dont freewheel on the flat as it slows you down. Always pedal. That saud I do lots of my riding a fixed gear and certainly freewheel much less than the other riders in my club when I am on geared. Just habit. But if you are freewheeling when you dont need to then it can be a right pain when riding with others as your speed will drop and theirs wont.

Top Bottom